Chapter Fourteen

I approached the woman with sweaty hands and trembling legs, there were just so many people behind her

I approached the woman with sweaty hands and trembling legs, there were just so many people behind her. I have never been a part of a crowd. I have never even been in a place with so many people before. My heart pounded against my ribs as if trying to fulfill a thousand beats. I deeply exhaled, releasing some of the tension that had built up in my muscles.

"Welcome to Columbia University, Ms. Bolton. My name is Tara Wells and I'll be your guide through everything..."

I smiled politely at her. "Thank you..."

"Although your admission was kind of last-minute, you arrived just in time for the orientation week."

"Oh..." was all I could say as I didn't even know what orientation week was.

I know Nikolai must have something to do with my last-minute admission, and now I really don't know how I will ever repay everything he has done for me.

"Let's start with the campus tour"

With a smile on my face and anxiety shooting through my veins I followed Tara as she showed me around the campus.

"Usually NSOP leaders help the new students but Mr. Costello wanted this to be as comfortable for you as possible. I was told you might get frightened by the crowds since you have been homeschooled your whole life..."

I swallowed to help with my parched throat and tucked an unruly lock of hair behind my ear. "Yeah, it's the first time I will attend classes on campus"

She nodded. "Will you be staying at the dorms?"

"Um... No"

We toured around the campus, she informed me everything about the core curriculum and classes. She introduced the faculty and the staff, and everything I needed to understand college life a bit better.

The whole day, I met a lot of people, some were my age, and some were older but they all were incredibly friendly and helpful. Most of the people here had the kind of personality that would make anyone comfortable. They joked around freely and they didn't even treat me like some freak when they found out that I have been homeschooled my whole life. I think I have made a few friends since the morning.

My phone rang and even that made me excited. This is the first time, I got a call on my new cell phone, it's stupid to get this excited but for me... it's everything.

I pulled it out of my handbag and saw an unknown number. I picked it up.

"I'm waiting for you outside" he deadpanned.

Scott... It was Scott.

Seriously the first time I get a call and it's from him? Irritation surged up inside of me as I maneuvered out of the campus and saw a line of black SUVs parked out front. People eyed it weirdly but not me. I know it was Scott and his bodyguards. They always follow Nikolai and Scott wherever they go.