Chapter Ninety

I shook my head, "I'm not going in there"

Leo grabbed my arm and ducked as a helicopter flew by over us. There were tall trees all around us, we were in the middle of nowhere; we were not even in New York anymore and it had been just a few hours since I left with Leo. Leo opened up the trap door again and pleaded with me to get inside.

"Evie, it's either this or Nikolai!" he whisper-yelled.

Tears stung my eyes, taking a long, deep breath, I stepped down the unsteady wooden ladder that led to nothing but deep darkness. I couldn't see anything, the second my feet touched the ground I heaved a sigh of relief and looked up at the faint morning light coming from the trap door.

"Leo!" I called and there was no answer.

A certain tension and anxiety crept up as Leo didn't answer, I looked around the dark place, my heartbeat accelerating. Goosebumps crept over the back of my neck.

Did he just leave me down here?!

"LEO!" I called again and I was ready to climb back up the ladder.

A second later, Leo appeared in my view, he stepped down the ladder and closed the door behind him.

"Evie, touch the wall to your left, there is a flashlight mounted on it, grab it and turn it on."

In the blinding darkness, I touched the wall and moved my hand around until I touched something, my first instinct was to pull my hand away but then I grabbed the head of the flashlight and pulled it off the wall. I touched the flashlight, looked for the ON button, and finally found it. I flicked it on and the dark tunnel-like place illuminated. This place reminded me of the tunnels under Nikolai's mansion but this was more on the messed up side. The walls were falling apart, the ground was uneven and it looked like it had been over a century ago.

Leo sealed the trap door with a bunch of stuff, including five giant padlocks. He stepped down the wobbly ladder and faced me.

"What took you so long up there?!" I snapped at him.

"The signal is weak down here, I was downloading this for you."

He handed me a cell phone and played a video. It was from a news channel. My picture was plastered all over the screen with the news of me being kidnapped.

"We are here with the missing girl's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Bolton," the newscaster announced.

What the-

What was going on?!

There was a couple that I have never seen before, they were sobbing, wiping their eyes as if they had actually lost a daughter.

"I know who took her, it's the same man that had been stalking my daughter for the past month. Mark Leopold-he is a serial rapist and killer, he took my daughter, please she is just nineteen years old. Please, help us find Evangeline and bring her home," the woman cried, barely holding herself up.