Extended Summary

Nova Mitchell and Jake Seresin.

Years ago, the two met during Jake's time in Top Gun. What started as a flirtatious friendship turned into a relationship neither saw coming.

Late night talks, walks along the beach, any form of cliche dates you can think of, they did it. They were so sickly sweet into each other. And they did everything they could to stay that way.

They tried to make it work. Oh God, did they try. But after Jake is sent away again and Nova goes through something traumatic at work, they feel a slip beginning. No matter how much either of them deny it, it's there.

So when Jake comes back from assignment, they have a talk. One that breaks both of their hearts. But one that is ultimately necessary.

Jake throws himself into assignment after assignment, mission after mission, trying to keep his mind off of Nova. And people notice. They noticed when he was over the moon happy for months on end. Teasing, goading, prying to get information out of him as to why his mood was so different. But now, it's like he doesn't have something to come home for. He proves himself to the Navy and his fellow aviators, but in doing so, gathers the reputation that he will always leave his wingman.

Nova, on the other hand, takes a break from work. Heading to her father, she helps him out, all while doing her absolute best to keep her thoughts away from Jake.

Pete "Maverick" Mitchell knows something is up. He can read his daughter like an open book. But something she never told him was who she was seeing. No matter who or what broke her heart, Maverick is there to hold her on the nights she lets her emotions out. Always there to cheer her up, take her on a plane ride. Hell, he even calls up the Kazansky household to see if Ice or JJ could help.

Eventually the two found their strides again. Things would remind them of the other and it still hurt, but they were masters at pushing those thoughts away.

Until a new mission arises. One that brings Jake back to Top Gun and Nova away from her hospital job.

So will they be able to work together? Or will old feelings that never went away resurface?

Dedicated to:

goldenstarkey for all the encouragement on Kalliope and the excitement for this story

 juliaw3907 for almost always being the first person supporting Kalliope any time I published a new chapter

kiki0626 for being such an inspiration and supporter for the past few years

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

If you are here from Kalliope, HI AGAIN!! If this is your first story by me, HI, nice to meet you!! Top Gun: Maverick literally has been in a chokehold (still, considering I'm writing this is February 2023).

I can't wait to explore this with all of you and I hope you enjoy it! I know I had fun planning it out.