Prologue

Nova was pacing.

Jake was finally on his way back from another assignment, and while that was normally something Nova was happy about, the closer he got, the more nervous she became. And she knew why.

Their relationship hadn't felt right lately. The past few months had been off, with both of them slowly drifting from the other. In no way did they love each other any less, but it was becoming harder to communicate what they needed.

Just before everything started going downhill, Nova had been in a hostage situation at work. She was a nurse for the local hospital, and one of the patients she was treating happened to be mixed up in something he shouldn't have been.

It had shaken her, understandably so. But since that night, Nova has been different. No one, especially not Jake, blames her. But it's put a strain on many of her relationships.

Jake, having been sent on multiple assignments since the incident, felt it just as badly. Yes, she was still sad to see him go. Yes, she was just as happy when he came back safe and sound. But, the lack of communication was slowly making its way to his heart.

Both knew without having to discuss with the other, that a serious discussion was needed.

And no matter how much they loved each other, hearts were about to be broken.

☽☆☾   ☽☆☾   ☽☆☾

"Jake," Nova sighs when he steps through the door to her apartment. Walking to him, she wraps him up in a hug, still happy and thankful he is home safe. She always would be, regardless of their status.

Jake hugs her just as tight. "Nova," he whispered into her hair. He inhales the scent of her shampoo, not realizing this would be the last time for a while he would be able to.

Once Jake has changed, they sit on the couch. But before he reaches for the remote, Nova grabs his hand. "We need to talk."

He nods, but the look in his eyes shows Nova he already knows what this is about. Nova takes a deep breath, trying to mentally prepare herself for what she is about to say.

"Things have been off lately. I know a lot of that is because of me," she started, cutting him off before he could interrupt. "Don't try denying it, I know it's a big reason. And I'm trying to work on it, I really am. But it's not going to happen overnight. And I don't want to drag you through this with me."

She's got tears in her eyes, threatening to fall. Her breath is starting to stutter, and she can't look Jake in the eyes.

"I know things have been off," Jake begins. "I've felt it too. And I know, as you said, some of it is on you. But an equal amount is on me. As much as I try, I will never understand what you went through that day." It's hard for him to force the words out as well. Nova had been in his life for a few years at this point, and he didn't want to lose her.

Nova finally meets his eyes, tears starting to fall. "I think we need a break." She tries to take another deep breath, but it falters in her chest. "Just until I can figure this out."

Jake slowly nods his head, looking over her shoulder instead of her eyes. Now he is the only one who can't make eye contact. He knows that as soon as he does, tears of his own will start to fall.

Slowly, he leans towards her, resting his lips on her forehead. Both of them close their eyes, not wanting to open them to this new reality.

"I will always be there for you," he pulls back enough to whisper into her hair. "Anything you need, just call. Please."

Nova nods her head, still refusing to open her eyes. She feels, rather than sees, Jake slowly removes himself from her.

"I love you, Nova. Never forget that."

Those are the last words Nova Mitchell hears from Jake Seresin as he walks out of her life for the next two years.

And when he finally closes that door, Nova allows herself to sob away at the heartbreak she feels.

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Word Count: 717

That is the angsty-ist scene I've ever written lol. (I wrote this at like midnight and now that I've reread it, I've got tears in my eyes. Like why did I put my babies through this)

But this is just a quick glimpse into the pain that is Nova and Jake. It only gets better from here. (Or does it??)

Next chapter brings us to the present day, aka mission time. Hope you're all ready to see just how this has affected both our girl Nova and resident asshole Jake.

Until then, bye for now!!!