Chapter 12

It was the night before they shipped out for the mission. Everyone had agreed to meet at the Hard Deck to celebrate one last time before leaving. No one mentioned the semi heavy atmosphere that came with the knowledge that someone might not be coming home.

Nova had changed from her usual work attire into some more suitable clothes for a bar. She was meeting with JJ and Taylor outside before going in. (JJ had said something about wanting to make an entrance.)

She was just glad he wanted to come out at all. It had been hard for him, since his father had passed. But JJ knew they were leaving the next morning and wanted to be with his friends.

"Alright here we go," he pumped them up before walking through the door. But to his dismay, it was not the entrance he wanted. The Hard Deck was packed that night, everyone in the detachment dressed in their dress whites, drawing a lot of attention.

Nova and Taylor just laughed at the look on his face before heading to the bar. "The usual Penny," Nova orders. Penny passes the three their drinks before gesturing to the pool table.

"Your group is over there. Have fun, but not too much fun," she winks at Nova, making her think Amelia has opened her mouth and told Penny something.

Nova sticks out her tongue at the woman before joining the group.

Natasha spots them first and quickly pulls Nova into a hug. "I need another person on my team."

Nova doesn't even hesitate. "Whatever you need, I'm your girl." And since Tasha knows about her and Hangman, she looks directly at the man and smirks so smugly, it looks like she won a competition. "Hear that? She's my girl."

Jake rolls his eyes and Nova lightly elbows her in the side. Bradley silently gags at JJ who laughs at his act.

The night continues on with rounds of pool being played and bets being made. It allowed them all to get to know each other better.

One of the biggest surprises of the night was Bob. Technically, it was his family connection but no one was expecting it.

"So you're telling me your father was a pilot for the Air Force?" Fanboy is the one to ask the question. Bob nods his head before pulling out his phone. "He wasn't the happiest when I said I was going into the Navy instead of the Air Force, but he got over it soon enough."

Bob found a photo of him and his dad from his Naval Academy graduation. And the others were shocked. "You look just like him!" Payback says. "Practically a clone."

Bob simply shrugs before gesturing to Nova. "Nova looks just Mav. I'm honestly surprised more people didn't put together your relation sooner." The others evaluated Nova, noting the dark brunette hair and bright green eyes. "Eh, it's not as obvious though," Coyote defends.

JJ nods his head. "It was a lot more obvious when we were kids. Even my dad said she was a mini Maverick and we should all be worried if she ever decided to fly." Nova shoved his shoulder as he laughed.

"Just be glad I decided to go into medicine. I can still fly, you ass." That got everyone's attention.

Jake is the one to ask, as he had never known this. "You can fly?"

Nova gives all of them a look. "My father is Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell. My godfather was Tom 'Iceman' Kazansky. Yes, I know how to fly."

JJ, Taylor, and Bradley just laugh at the dumbfounded looks on their faces. "For what it's worth, I don't know how to fly. I just fix the planes." JJ informed the group.

Natasha shakes her head, snapping out of her shock. "The more we learn about you two, the less I'm surprised anymore."

The night carried on, conversations similar to that one and others that derailed entirely. But it was a good night for all.