Chapter 1

The Hard Deck.

The go to bar in Fightertown, USA. Often inhabited by the many ranks of Navy personnel and locals alike. And because of this, it is the place to be for a select group of aviators who have been ordered back for a classified mission.

"Oh come on," Coyote says in despair when Hangman sinks a ball into the pocket of the pool table.

Javy "Coyote" Machado and Jake "Hangman" Seresin were the first of the aviators in the bar that night. And for one of these two, the night would be the start of the rest of his life. (Again.)

He looks up, ready to brag, as always, when he notices another group of familiar aviators walk in.

"What do we have here?" Hangman asks. "If it ain't Phoenix!" He states smugly.

Phoenix just stares at him, as he smirks right back. She knows something happened two years ago to make him even worse that he was before, but she can't figure out what.

"And here I thought we were special Coyote. Turns out they give it to anyone.”

Phoenix looks at him annoyed. “Fellas,” she says to Payback and Fanboy, “this here is Bagman.” Now, she is looking smug, knowing the nickname will piss him off.

“Hangman,” he corrects almost immediately, a strained smile on his face. They got along occasionally, but Jake was too arrogant for Natasha to take for too long. 

“Oh whatever,” Phoenix quips back. Looking back to Payback, she continues. “You're looking at the only naval aviator on active duty with an air-to-air kill.”

“Stop,” Hangman falsely states, looking smugly at the other aviators.

Never one to let Hangman brag for long, Phoenix is quick to say “Mind you, the other guy was in a museum piece from the Korean War,” 

Coyote, quick to defend his best friend l, jumps in, “Cold War." 

“Different wars, same century,” Payback replies without hesitation. “Not this one,”  Fanboy is quick to back him up. 

Getting fed up, Coyote asks “Who are your friends?”

“Payback.” “Fanboy.”

“Hey Coyote,” Phoenix finally greets the aviator. 

“Hey,” he cheekily replies.

Somewhere behind the group, three more people enter the bar, heading right for Penny Benjamin, the owner and bartender for the night. Luckily, or unluckily depending on who you ask, they went unnoticed by the aviators.

Phoenix does notice someone else however. “Who's he?” The man looks up, looking slightly out of place among the self assured pilots.

“Who's who?” Coyote asks, not looking away from Phoenix

Everyone looks over at the man, who is brushing some crumbs off his pants. Looking up, he notices the others staring at him, so he just shyly smiles. 

"When did you get here?" Coyote asks, having not seen him come in or hear a sound from him.

“Oh, oh I've been here the whole time,” the man says with a sweet, shy smile