Chapter 14

When the special detachment made it back to land, there was only one place to go.

The Hard Deck.

The group didn't even stop at their places to change, just went straight to the bar.

Nova didn't let Maverick or Bradley out of her sight, making both of them get into her car so she could drive them. The men knew better than to argue, especially since they could see the evidence of their stunts on her face.

Nova's eyes were red and puffy, tear marks still streaked down her face. But she was in much better spirits and had some cover up in her bag to touch things up before partying the night away.

The trio gets to the Hard Deck before everyone else and come to find out that Penny took Amelia on a boating trip, unsure of when they would return.

Nova patted her dad on the shoulder before shrugging. "You know as well as I do that Penny wasn't gonna sit and wait to see if you made it back. But I do know how to get in touch with them when they go boating, so I'll send her a message."

Maverick squeezed her hand before heading over to the bar keep for the night, informing him of the group coming in. Soon enough, the others arrive, grabbing their usual drinks before the evening rush.

But the main event of the evening was something no one saw coming. (Well a few people, but they already knew about it.)

Nova had pulled Jake aside, needing to thank him for what he did.

"I wanted to thank you. For saving my dad and Bradley. I know it's your job, but you don't understand just what you did for me." Nova started to ramble as she thanked the man.

But Jake just shook his head. "Nova I was ready to launch as soon as Maverick went down. It took everything form of restraint I had not to launch despite orders when I heard you scream over the radio when Rooster went down."

Nova looked down. She didn't know he could hear her. But Jake lifted her chin with his finger, making sure she was looking at him.

"I would have saved them regardless because they are my team. But knowing how important both of them are to you made me more determined to get there in time." He was smiling softly at her, nothing but love in his eyes.

Fanboy noticed the two from afar, hitting Payback to get his attention. And quickly enough, the entire detachment was watching the two, who appeared to be in their own world.

Nova didn't hesitate. She pressed her lips to Jake's in seconds, one hand in his hair the other on his chest. And Jake quickly responded, the hand on her chin moving to the back of her neck while his other circled her waist to land on the small of her back. He pulled her as close as he possibly could, refusing to let go.

When they finally pulled away, Nova pressed her forehead to Jake's not wanting to open her eyes just yet. But she did when the two of them heard cheering from the group.

They looked over to their friends who had a mixture of dropped jaws, whopping sounds, and clapping hands. Bradley was gagging at the sight, while Maverick had turned away not wanting to watch his daughter kiss anyone, much less Hangman.

Nova buried her head into Jake's chest in embarrassment but Jake, being the showoff he is, just laughed. He was quick to pick Nova up by the waist, twirling her around until she began to laugh before giving her another kiss.

They rejoin the group to pats on the back and many questions. A lot of which they don't even acknowledge, but Coyote gives the pair a knowingly smug look. Apparently, he had been pushing Jake to admit his feelings, not knowing the history between the two.