𝒍𝒊𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒂 𝒉𝒆𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒐𝒏

Cara Hendersons pov

(Over the years)

Age (1-3): I didn't remember much about those years, but I remember my father's eyes, he was there when I was born, and then he wasn't there as much anymore.

Age (3-7): my father hired nannies constantly to care after me, he had been home occasionally but then he wasn't. He didn't tell me much about my mom and I didn't ask, I felt like if he didn't wanna talk about her I didn't wanna ask questions and it's not like I could, he was in and out so much it was hard to catch him. When I did, he came home with another man carrying him on his shoulders. They had come through the door and I screamed so loud I accidentally woke him up.

"Cara...why are you screaming?" He was speaking funny, his voice seemed slower than usual.

"Whose that?" I pointed to the man carrying him by his shoulders.

"You're new nanny."

I had so many nannies over the years it was hard not to get attached, I had just wanted someone to take care of me but everyday it was someone new. And after declaring that guy was my new nanny deep down I had hoped he stayed.

Age(7-13): Rory Mickelson, age thirty-seven, single man, retired from the army, no kids, barely speaks to his family, tall but a huge softie, loves barbeque but hates steak for some reason. He was my new nanny and he actually stuck around..at first it was uncomfortable and awkward, but the more he hung around the easier it was to speak to him. He had taught me a lot of details for school and just for life In General.

"I'm going to teach you how to box so you can handle yourself from any bullies" he told me after I came home with a black eye, catching it from a girl who took my candy.

"Don't let any boy try to kiss you or anything, keep your eye on school and homework it will be better in the long run" he told me after I told him a boy had asked me out.

"Don't get too attached, it will only hurt you in the future" he told me one night, sometimes his advice is because something happened but other times he just tells me useful things and I didn't mind it was like he was this wise extremely wise guy who knew so much.

By the time I was in middle school, I had my eye on homework and school. I didn't make many friends, and I didn't get picked on because I kept to myself. I learned a lot about how boys really are and it's not that I don't like them..I just want to meet the right one rather than the wrong one.

I had learned more about my father as well, he was basically my superhero Rory called him, saving the world from bad guys. He did come around alot more but i still considered Rory my father and that was how I liked it. Rory had dropped me off at school in this black SUV, and it was kind of cool, I had enjoyed Rory's presence alot more than anticipated. Sometimes it did catch attention during school hours but I didn't mind, sometimes I enjoyed the attention but sometimes..I didn't.

By the age of fifteen was when I started my period, I had told Rory about it because who else could I tell? my mom?

"It's called a period, it's normal for girls to hit it around the ages of 13-16" Rory had taken me to a doctor to ask a billion of questions and man was it awkward..

"How does it work?" Rory was like a statue, frozen in fear as the doctor spoke to him.

"Basically it's tearing in the tissue of the vagi-"

"Oh oh" he shook his head and I giggled, it was the funniest thing in the world.

"I can issue some pads or tampons-"

Yeah Rory threw up after that, but the information was worth it.

"So..how did you and him meet?" I was seventeen, asking Rory the question I had always wondered. We were sitting at the kitchen table, Rory on the computer. I hadn't realized our house was a mansion, but I love the space...only needed a dog or cat or something for all of the space, two people living here seemed excessive.

"He had won a case and..I was..dealing with something" he seemed hesitant about speaking and I didn't notice at the time Instead I kept pushing.

"What were you dealing with?."

"I had cancer..lung. It's been years since I've had it."

"Why didn't you tell me?."

"Because..it isn't important."

"Yeah..but you are."

His eyes meet mine and he grabs my hand tightly, squeezing it gently.

"I know I'm just supposed to be your nanny or whatever you wanna call it, but I've watched you grow up into a beautiful young woman cara. You will never just be the kid I once babysat, but you'll be the kid I watched and raised into a beautiful and amazing young woman. I love you very much cara" he had told me that one night and I never forgot it, because it was the first I love you someone has told me..and I would never let go if it.

I hugged him so tightly he chuckled a bit but hugged me back.

"I love you too" the minute I spoke those words...I knew I meant it the second it left my lips.