3. Chapter (The Ball)

"Pray, do you know if our physician has spare legs in stock? Methinks I shall require a new pair after this evening's jolly," Aileen said wearily, quickly adding, "Verily, those gentlemen are as pitiful as snow in the sun."

"Which one of them did teach thee the proper art of stepping on feet? So that I may avoid him," Isabella asked sharply, taking a sip from her glass.

"All of them! Except for yonder gentleman," she gestured towards the man standing in the corner, partaking of his drink.

Isabella had to concede her sister's refined taste, for the unknown lord possessed fair locks, a fine moustache of the same hue gracing his comely face. Though distant, his eyes shone with a bright emerald hue. He noticed their gazes and raised his glass in a toast.

"Methinks he does appear splendid," Bella remarked as her initial thought, "but is he not too advanced in years for you? He must be at least thirty winters old, whilst you are but a young tadpole, no offence, dear sister."

Aileen shrugged, the man's allure too potent for her to dwell upon his age. Marriages with considerable age disparities were not uncommon in a noble society. Both sisters then turned their attention to Eliza, who sought Leighton with her gaze, yet it seemed he did not grace this ball with his presence. Sensing the scrutiny of her siblings, Eliza swiftly interjected,

"Aye, Bella speaks truly."

"Then it holds true that you shalt not wed the Duke," Bella mischievously inquired, and Aileen seemed to concur with her twin on that statement.

Eliza sighed and finally addressed her sisters, "I have made my decision. Why do you constantly seek to undermine my conviction that I have made the right choice?"

"Because you two are ill-suited for one another. When you are in his company, you become reserved, like... how shall I put it... settled. Your cheerful nature vanishes. Since his proposal, you do constantly think of him. He pervades every conversation, and every thought, yet not as someone with whom you are excited to spend your life, but rather as if his proposal were a punishment to you. I can engage in more fruitful and meaningful discourse with Arden than with you," Isabella explained her position.

At that moment, the man in question contemplated his greatest skill – card games in the adjoining salon, emerging victorious in his fifth bout. If any sister were to approach him for a dance out of courtesy, he would sooner leap from the window.

"He is the man with whom I shall share the remainder of my days, and it is only natural that I feel unease," Eliza sighed, "but am I truly so insufferable?"

"Verily," both twins replied in unison.

Aileen swiftly changed the subject. "Behold yon young man in the corner. He lacks in comeliness, and it appears he is aware, for he makes no attempt. I have yet to witness him partake in a dance. How say you to encourage his confidence?" Aileen asked, winking conspiratorially at her sisters.

"I believe I shall leave that task to you," Eliza replied.

"It was but an example, dear Eliza. Fear not, I shan't allow you to abscond with mine ugly boy," she feigned affection and slowly retreated from their midst.

"They are your legs, Aileen," Bella managed to say, eliciting an unpleasant look from her sister.

Not even ten minutes hence, a gentleman entered the salon, drawing the attention of all the ladies, regardless of their age or marital status. Eliza would have wagered at that moment that should there be any women outside, they would gather at the windows to cast a glimpse within. Above all, the man stood tall, perchance the loftiest in the room. Dark tresses framed his lightly bearded visage, which bore neither overly ample nor excessively narrow lips. A small scar adorned his left cheek, touching his lower lip. His slender form and broad shoulders were accentuated by his lavishly embroidered coat. He moved with a measured grace, akin to a predator poised to strike, should the need arise.