46. Chapter (Seeking Miss Morris)

Arden had always been firmly convinced that there existed at least one solution to every quandary, even those that appeared insurmountable at first glance or lingered in complexity. It was upon this reliance that he found himself succumbing to the enchantment of Lynette and his own desires, not contemplating twice about the potential repercussions at this juncture. He had fallen head over heels in love with her, to the extent that the mere notion of remaining mere lovers repulsed him. Assisting her in her quest to uncover her lost familial background and secure a more elevated position in society posed no challenge for him, after all.

Yet, after that fateful night, it became abundantly clear that Lynette desired the past to remain veiled, causing his brow to furrow. However, Arden persisted. It was at this juncture that a solution manifested itself in the form of an assumed name and fabricated family connections. He would endow her with a considerable sum of money, assuring that no suspicions would linger in the eyes of the world concerning her noble lineage—or, at the very least, any doubts that might satisfy the discerning gaze of the ton.

When one's love burned with such fervour as Arden's did, it seemingly presented no difficulty to go to any lengths to maintain the constancy and propriety of the relationship.

Or was he amiss in nurturing such a hope?

Yet, he had not anticipated that her abhorrence for falsehood would also obliterate this possibility, and he had no intention of compelling her into such deceit. He comprehended her perspective, recognising that the repudiation of societal norms indeed constituted the utmost manifestation of love between two souls hailing from vastly disparate echelons.

Alas, in his case, such a course of action entailed considerable risk, for his lineage would once more weather the tempestuous waves of scandal within an unusually brief span. A fragment from a recent conversation with his father echoed in his mind:

"Why do you inquire about the ramifications of a union between nobility and a commoner, Arden? Are you contemplating traversing the path I have walked?!" John's voice quivered with genuine concern.

"I am afraid, father. I fear that when... when the title eventually passes onto me, its weight shall overwhelm me, akin to a house of cards collapsing," Arden confided in a hushed tone, his gaze cast downward.

His sentiments were justified, for Arden was not inclined to conform to the shackles of duty; quite the contrary. A wistful smile danced upon John's lips, for he discerned that his son, through such contemplation, had veritably embraced maturity in every conceivable aspect, acutely aware of the perils that lay shrouded within the labyrinthine corridors of his forthcoming existence.

"Fear not, Arden, and be brave. Should life's burdens weigh heavily upon you, remember me and the counsel I have imparted unto you all those past years."

This poignant exchange transpired shortly after an inadvertent kiss planted upon Lynette's cheek, once Arden eagerly showcased his meticulous calculations within the confines of the ledger to his father. Now, it seemed an eternity had elapsed since that fleeting moment, and back then, he endeavoured valiantly to suppress his yearning for Lynette. Alone and in alliance with widow Allman's sympathetic ear and loin, he strove to navigate through the maze of uncertainty, yet found himself akin to a lost and parched traveller amidst an arid desert, hopelessly yearning for a sip of life-sustaining water.

Lynette was that water.

Intimate dreams enticed him during nocturnal reveries, with her playing the lead role, while the daylight hours compelled him to seek her presence if only to feast his eyes upon her face, the allure of her figure, and the elegance with which she moved in the kitchen. However, he remained acutely aware of the ever-watchful gaze of Maggie, resembling a vulture poised to swoop down, her keen eyes eager to decipher the concealed affair between him and the young cook.