12. Chapter (About Miss Morris)

*quim - a vulgar British slang word for a woman's genitals

Lynette had already begun to lose hope of finding a new position suitable for a young woman

Lynette had already begun to lose hope of finding a new position suitable for a young woman. Almost a month had passed, and besides brief periods of temporary employment, she had been unable to secure a stable position for longer than four days. Presently, she stood before another noble residence, contemplating whether to enter through the grand front entrance or the discreet rear entrance. The thought of returning to the convent, where a monk had concealed her as one of the nuns, crossed her mind. However, it was too early to entertain such an idea. If she were to do so, she would have to forsake her desire to remain in England and instead return to her homeland of Ireland, for she was utterly disappointed with her situation. Lynette took a deep breath and approached the impressive door of the house. She knocked with a sense of determination, and soon after, the majordomo graciously opened it.

"May I inquire as to your purpose?" he asked politely.

"Good day, sir. I am in search of suitable employment. Are there any vacancies available within this household?" she inquired.

"Please step inside, miss, and follow me," the butler replied courteously.

She gracefully entered the splendid hallway and, within moments, found herself standing in the well-appointed kitchen before a stern-looking cook.

"We have no need for anything, we are not purchasing," the cook stated curtly, barely sparing a glance at Lynette.

"But I am not here to sell anything," Lynette calmly responded. "I am seeking employment in the kitchen or as a lady's maid within the household."

The cook scrutinised her closely. The young woman appeared modest, far from resembling a lady of questionable repute. Her appearance was impeccable, with no signs of lice and a set of beautiful, white teeth.

She could serve as a suitable replacement for most of the girls currently in service here, the cook thought to herself.

"I regret to inform you that the household needs no additional staff at this time," the cook finally uttered, turning her back to resume her dinner preparations. Lynette felt a lump form in her throat, and tears welled up in her eyes. Rejection was a bitter pill to swallow, and today she had experienced it on no fewer than seven occasions. She turned and slowly retraced her steps toward the exit, the butler leading the way. Just as the butler opened the door, she heard footsteps behind her and instinctively turned around. As she caught sight of the figure entering the grand hall, her tears blurred her vision even further.

"Wait, I recognise you! You're..." the newcomer exclaimed, but then composed himself and continued, "Jens, would you kindly give us some privacy?"

The butler closed the entrance door with an impassive expression and returned to the kitchen.

"You're the young lady we rescued at the Red Cat tavern, aren't you?" he completed his sentence.

Lynette swiftly turned around, wiping away her tears, and gazed at Arden.