25. Chapter (Frailty Mind, Broken Form)

Pray, when John made his appearance at the White's club after a prolonged absence, it caused quite a commotion. Forsooth, he was highly esteemed for his sharp-witted observations on societal affairs, and all were eager to inquire about his well-being and whether malady had beset him.

"Fear not, Lord Shrewsbury, I have regained my health, and I hope it shall endure for a considerable span. By the by, perchance have you caught sight of Kent?" he queried.

"Verily, 'tis gratifying to hear, Lord Price! Alas, I have not beheld the Duke for a considerable period. Since the King entrusted him with diplomatic matters, he graces this establishment with diminishing frequency, akin to his attendance at the House of Lords," replied a gentleman of akin age.

"I have received tidings that our King George has already selected a fair maiden for wedlock, a princess hailing from Lower Saxony," proclaimed Lord Davenport, joining the gathering.

"Yet whether she shall find favour in the eyes of Princess Augusta remains uncertain. We all recollect the era when she governed the royal couple," uttered John, evoking mirth from the entire assemblage.

"Verily, my good Lord Rosewell, one might have clandestinely wed the whelp after the manner of the Stuarts, whilst he was still a mere babe," ventured Shrewsbury.

"But nay, dear Shrewsbury," retorted Lord Rosewell, "the hapless Prince Frederick proved even more obstinate than his lady. She was nought but a puppet within his grasp, unable to utter an English word upon her arrival. In contrast, he contested his sire in all conceivable matters, and the same would hold true for his chosen betrothed."

The lords nodded in concurrence.

"One query vexes my mind," interjected Davenport once more, "why send Kent on a quest to discover a bride across the expanse of Europe whilst we are embroiled in warfare? I cannot blame him for his reluctance, particularly as the King is encompassed by capable negotiators such as Poole and Wilkes. He should, and I dare say he wishes to be witnessed on the battlefield, contemplating a strategic manoeuvre for our forces instead."

"Pray, let us not indulge in idle gossip, Lord Davenport. Recall that Kent enjoys great favour with George, and our sovereign is of impetuous temperament and unwavering resolve," remarked Shrewsbury, yet Davenport failed to comprehend and persisted:

"But you mentioned Lady Kendall—"

"Lady Kendall hath uttered an excess of words, and oft they prove nought but idle chatter," interposed Shrewsbury, directing a cordial smile at John, albeit averting his gaze.

John comprehended and remained unperturbed by the circulating rumours within society regarding the unannounced betrothal between his daughter and the Duke of Kent—indeed, he had anticipated such and was prepared for the circumstance.

"Throughout the annals of our society, Lady Kendall hath ever been a source of amusement and diversion. I daresay her utterances are not intended to inflict intentional harm upon another but rather stem from her advanced age, wherein she seeks any pretext to ignite the flames of intrigue."

"Then let us raise our cups to Lady Kendall," declared Lord Rosewell, extending a glass of whisky to John.

"To Lady Kendall!" echoed the lords jovially, as the room resonated with the clinking of crystal.

Thereafter, the discourse veered once more toward matters of politics, and thus it persisted for a time. Yet, amidst the waning crowd, John discerned the figure of a gentleman within his purview. As the throng dissipated and most lords departed to attend to their respective obligations, he directed his attention toward the stranger. He sighed inwardly, for it was none other than Lord Robert Ward, Elizabeth's brother, and therefore John's brother-in-law. The duo shared a precise twenty-year age difference, with Robert being the younger of the two and never having endorsed his sister's union with John.