33. Chapter (My Dear Enemy)

*paps - nipples

*nub - clitoris

*long finger - or third finger; middle finger

*fork - decorous term for crotch

*Venus' honey pot - pussy

It was a sweltering, oppressive day, and Travis had just concluded overseeing the enumeration and marking of new livestock

It was a sweltering, oppressive day, and Travis had just concluded overseeing the enumeration and marking of new livestock. With that task behind him, he yearned to refresh himself, preparing for the resolution he had contemplated for several days now—taking decisive action concerning Eliza Price. He resolved to converse with the Duke of Hertfordshire and confide in him, hopeful that the Duke might comprehend his sentiments and persuade his daughter to forsake other suitors and choose him alone.

En route, he chose to make a stop in Reading and pay a visit to his mother. Despite receiving favourable reports from the butler regarding her sobriety, Travis remained sceptical. Having already partaken in lunch at the family estate, he couldn't help but notice Corinne's scrutinising gaze, as if he were an unwelcome intruder in his own home.

"You carry the unmistakable scent of manure and stable air," were the initial words she bestowed upon him during luncheon as she crunched her nose. "I fail to comprehend why you engage farm hands and other servants when you willingly soil your own attire."

"Not only the attire, mother. I'm unafraid to dirty my hands when the occasion demands. Perhaps if you committed yourself to a pursuit as well, you would find less time for... your indulgences," he answered with a hint of condescension.

Corinne crossed her arms firmly over her chest.

"Be aware that I have resumed my writing endeavours. You can inquire with the butler - I am aware he keeps a watchful eye on my every move."

Travis nodded with approval.

"I'm pleased to hear that, mother. As for the watchful eyes - surely you're not taken aback, considering everything that transpired. It's for your own well-being after all."

"Will you be lingering in Reading for an extended duration?," she promptly changed the topic.

"I cannot say for certain. Today, I intend to journey to Hertford to pay a visit to the Duke Price. With any luck, I aim to make my return by the late evening."

"Why?" she inquired.

"Why am I venturing to Hertford, or why do I aspire to return promptly?," he countered provocatively.

"Why Hertford," she responded starkly, choosing to continue her meal.

"I seek to ascertain the state of affairs in Hertfordshire. There are various rumours circulating regarding the Duke's well-being, and they trouble me. As you may be aware, John Price was one of my mentors during my youth."

Travis concealed his true purpose behind his journey, wary of inviting his mother's opinions. He had never shared his plans with her, and the present situation was no exception to this rule.