11. Chapter (The History Of The Three Families)

"...she approached me and began prattling like a brook in springtime. If she weren't so ravishing, I shudder to think how I would endure it. I've come to realise that one cannot find contentment with a woman here in London. One may possess beautiful limbs but marred teeth, another may excel in playing six instruments but lack a bosom, and the third may be as exquisite as a painting but devoid of intellect..."

Daniel rode on horseback alongside Felix, his countenance as sombre as the London sky, paying scant heed to his brother's discourse.

"Are you even attending to my words?"

"Pray, do desist. Should the ladies of this locale displease you, seek solace in a foreigner."

Felix smirked. "An intriguing suggestion indeed, but where might one chance upon such an exotic damsel?"

"That is your quandary, young Don Juan," Daniel retorted with a touch of irony.

"Be that as it may. But what of you? When you returned from the city last eve, you studiously avoided us all, forsaking even the evening repast. Could it be due to the Lady Price? 'Tis but a day removed from the ball, and one would think that enmity over a soiled shirt would not persist through generations," Felix jested at Daniel's expense.

"I have stumbled upon intriguing tidings, dear brother," Daniel sternly replied, "firstly, all is not well with Travis. Secondly—"

"Gentlemen, I bid you greetings," a voice suddenly emanated from behind them. The voice belonged to a young man they had recently encountered at the Red Cat tavern. Mounted on a sleek steed, his dark eyes glimmered mischievously with a golden hue, and a roguish smile played upon his countenance.

"I am uncertain if it was judicious to address us at this juncture, Sir Badger. Or should I refer to you as Lord Price?" Daniel retorted sharply, without proffering any salutations. Felix gazed at his brother in astonishment, then turned his gaze to Arden, whose smile had vanished. A sense of brotherhood pervaded their interactions since the tavern incident, thus rendering his brother's behaviour inexplicable.

"I had no inkling that learning my true appellation would affect you so profoundly," Arden replied sternly.

"Believe me, it does have an effect. We had almost become friends. A bond with an individual hailing from a family of swindlers and rogues, as if we were lacking in that regard!" Daniel exclaimed.

Arden's anger grew palpable. "Pray, may I ascertain the source of your opinion concerning myself and my kin?"

"From what I know of your family. 'Tis a hereditary affliction, is it not? Like father, like son. Bereft of honour, bereft of conscience. Do you truly expect me to believe that you consistently triumph in those games of chance by fair means?" Daniel continued his verbal assault.

"Your words inflict a deep wound, sir. However, fear not, I shall uncover the true meaning behind your words, and then I shall determine whether your animosity is warranted! Farewell for now!" Arden tugged on the reins of his horse and swiftly galloped away, avoiding the escalation of tensions and a potential altercation, even though their closest companions were well beyond earshot.

Daniel assumed the visage of an embodiment of retribution, resolute in seeking redress for a grievance known only to him.

"Never have I witnessed such a transformation in you, save for when you quarrelled with father. What has befallen you, Dan? And whence did you obtain such information about the Prices?" Felix inquired, still astounded. "Are you aware that this may lead to a duel?!"

"Nothing untoward has befallen me. Engaging in a duel would afford me but little satisfaction in this instance. Let the person in question discover what he seeks. I fear him not," Daniel retorted, falling silent, while his brother shook his head incredulously. "I understand, Felix, that it currently eludes your comprehension, but trust me," Daniel explained, "it is connected to something our mother divulged to me before our return to this city. You see, we are not solely here for the sake of Reginald Sullivan's estate... but for now, I cannot disclose more."