27. Chapter (Those Lovely Eyes Of Yours)

Historical Insight:

*War of Barons - refers to the conflict between King John of England and his barons, which ultimately led to the sealing of the Magna Carta in 1215. King John's reign (1199–1216) was marked by political turmoil, military conflicts, and strained relations with the nobility.

The barons, dissatisfied with King John's arbitrary rule, heavy taxation, and abuses of power, rebelled against him. This rebellion culminated in the barons seizing London and forcing King John to negotiate terms with them. In June 1215, at Runnymede, near Windsor, King John was compelled to affix his seal to the Magna Carta, a charter that outlined certain rights and liberties for the barons and limited the king's authority.

Although the Magna Carta was initially intended to address the grievances of the barons, it laid the groundwork for broader principles of governance and individual rights. The "War of Barons" thus played a significant role in shaping English constitutional history and the development of parliamentary democracy.

In our story, I took some creative liberties with history. I applied a scenario where the barons winning over King John, set a precedent that allowed the ancestors of the Price family to hold onto the title of Duke of Hertfordshire without interference from the king or his successors. However, it's worth remembering that Alistair and Thomas Rivers didn't exactly acquire this title and estates through entirely honest means.

 However, it's worth remembering that Alistair and Thomas Rivers didn't exactly acquire this title and estates through entirely honest means

Oscar took up a small pebble in his hand, extending his arm and casting it into the lake. The pebble skipped across the water's surface like a nimble frog before vanishing beneath the depths. "Verily, were I not a visitor in these parts, I would have taken a plunge myself," he remarked, turning to Aileen, who had seated herself upon a nearby stone.

"You are missing out on a great pleasure, for the waters here are truly delightful," she affirmed.

"Do you have a fondness for swimming?" he inquired, joining her on an adjacent rock.

"On occasion, and only during the summer months. Yet, my greatest affection lies with music. I have a penchant for the piano and composing my own melodies."

Oscar nodded in appreciative agreement. "In the upcoming month of November, the concerts at Covent Garden shall commence, and I have received reliable tidings that the Smith brothers' orchestra shall grace the stage."

"Oh, how I long to attend such a performance!" exclaimed Aileen. "However, within my own family, my love for music stands alone. Thus, my mother serves as my companion solely when she possesses the inclination."

"Perhaps she shall not hesitate if she discovers that I have secured a private box with an exquisite view. I could beseech my dear friend to extend the invitation to include both you and your mother," proposed Oscar with a conspiratorial twinkle in his eye.

"Would you truly undertake such a gesture on our behalf?" inquired Aileen, her countenance softly blushing. "Pray, enlighten me as to how a gentleman of your standing procures such a fine box?"