49. Chapter (The Gallows Of Hearts)

*gaols - jails

*bon vivant - phrase borrowed from French, means "good liver" and refers to a person who enjoys and appreciates the good things in life, particularly in terms of food, drink, and social activities

Arden found himself in a state of despair, his heart laden with worry. Despite Maggie's tireless efforts to gather information about Lynette from the household staff, the results remained elusive. Determined to leave no stone unturned, Arden and Burnett took to the streets, venturing through the dimly lit alleys, seeking answers in the taverns and brothels they frequented, hoping for a trace of Lynette's presence. Yet, it appeared as though the earth had swallowed her whole, erasing any evidence of her existence altogether.

"Burnett, are you certain we have exhausted all possibilities? Have we truly explored every establishment on our list?" Arden's voice quivered with a mixture of anxiety and frustration.

"Aye, Arden. I meticulously noted down every location we visited, including the ones we stumbled upon along the way, thinking she might have sought solace there," Burnett replied, tucking the crumpled piece of parchment into his pocket.

Arden released a heavy sigh, leaning wearily against the cold stone wall of a nearby establishment. As pedestrians hurried past, immersed in their own affairs, he couldn't escape the profound sense of dread that had gripped him since Lynette's disappearance.

"Where could she possibly be?" he silently questioned himself, the days stretching out before him like an eternity.

With each passing moment, his conviction grew stronger that something terrible had befallen her. The mere thought sent a chill down his spine, his heart skipping a beat. He refused to forgive himself if Lynette suffered due to his words and actions. Suddenly, a glimmer of hope emerged from the depths of his troubled mind.

"Solicitor Suthersby! Perhaps he can aid us in our quest or find out if..." Arden murmured, his voice trailing off. Until now, he had not entertained the grim possibility that Lynette's fate might be a tragic one, fearing the icy grip of reality. His long-time companion noticed the pained expression etched upon Arden's face, understanding the unspoken fears that gripped his heart. Therefore, he refrained from completing Arden's sentence, unwilling to ignite false hope. In silence, they hailed a passing carriage and were soon transported to the office of Oscar Suthersby, the esteemed solicitor.

"How may I be of service to you, My Lord?" Oscar inquired respectfully as he greeted the sombre gentlemen, offering them seats and a comforting glass of gin, which was politely refused by Burnett as he avoided strong spirits.

Noticing the weariness etched upon Arden's face, the heavy circles under his eyes, Oscar prepared himself for the disheartening news that may follow.

"Mr. Suthersby, I beseech your assistance. There is a young lady, her fate hangs in the balance, and I am determined to find her. She vanished without a trace from my family's estate over a week ago," Arden implored, his voice laced with desperation.