28. Chapter (Ah, Those Clandestine Affairs)

*soliloquy - one's monologue to themselves

Arden fixed his gaze upon the rich, burgundy fabric that adorned the canopy above, his musings carried far from his present surroundings

Arden fixed his gaze upon the rich, burgundy fabric that adorned the canopy above, his musings carried far from his present surroundings. He contemplated the occurrences of the recent days, especially those involving Lynette. A sense of inner conflict gripped him—on one side, the desire to prevent her from falling enamoured with him, and on the other, a certain flattery at the notion that a woman of such beauty could harbour sentiments for him.

Nevertheless, the notion of making her his paramour repelled him—such a virtuous woman didn't merit such a fate. However, adhering to his father's footsteps in marrying a commoner would lead to a life beyond societal norms, a prospect that wouldn't trouble him in the least but would cast a shadow of "shame" upon the entire family. In the end, the thought of someone stumbling upon the misplaced chest and thus liberating him from the weight of his future ducal responsibilities seemed less objectionable than it had at first seemed.

"You're not even listening to me!" a feminine voice exclaimed, interrupting his reverie.

"I was merely lost in contemplation," he retorted, his expression somewhat downcast.

Lady Allman snorted dismissively. "I'm certain your thoughts are occupied by that harlot of yours again. I'm aware she's the reason for your less frequent visits, despite all your explanations."

"She's not a harlot, she's also not my paramour, and how am I to visit more regularly when there are constant familial matters demanding my attention?!" Arden exclaimed.

"Suddenly, obligations arise, there's always some family matter to attend to, but nothing interferes in my chambers. And then you expect me to remain faithful when you deceive me, insisting there's nothing between you and that harlot you certainly embrace when you're not with me," she responded.

Arden took one of the small cushions, placed it over his countenance, and let out a heartfelt groan.

"I still don't comprehend what charms you in that young lady - she is plump and uncomely. And those crimson locks and freckles, truly dreadful," she continued in her soliloquy*.

He removed the cushion from his face and gazed at her with curiosity. "And how do you possess the knowledge of her appearance?"

"I've visited your residence being in the company of that hag Kendall as well," she replied sharply.

"Ah, yes," he said, recollecting the day when Lady Allman waved at him from the window of his ancestral abode.

"So, what fascinates you about her?" she inquired once more as a hush descended between them.

Arden drew near to her, his touch gentle as he traced the contours of her countenance, wearing a subtle, suggestive smile.

"Nought," he responded.

Lady Allman withdrew with a displeased expression. "Something is amiss with you, Arden, I'm not oblivious simpleton. Since she entered your life, there's a change in you— even the way you engage in intimate moments has altered. Do you envision her when we're together? You see yourself inserting your cock in that hag?"