The Flame and the Mockingjay

"So where should we start?" Esmeralda asked.

"I honestly don't know, the only question I have to ask is, did you know about this, any of this?" Katniss asked her former mentor.

"No Katniss, no ideas. And to be honest that's what I wanted to ask you" Esmeralda answered and then silence clouded over them.

"I know they keep saying, that Peeta and Fin-Finnick were taken by the Capitol, but a part of me can't help but think that they knew that they sacrificed themselves for us" Esmeralda broke the silence.

"I can see where you are coming from with that, I think as much as they would have done that for the two of us. Plutarch would have told us that they knew and sacrificed themselves to I don't know "motivate" us to get up and do something quicker. Because as much as we might not trust him I believe that is something they would do" Katniss explained her thought process.

"I know. I know," Esmeralda thought out loud.

"Have you talked to Dom? Or Haymitch?" Katniss asked.

"Dom?" Esmeralda questioned as she made it out of her hospital bed the first time she woke up after being in District 13.

"They took Annie. They have her in the Capitol." Dom spoke but looked checked out and was answering in autopilot.

"I wanted to go back for her. For all of them. For Peeta. For Finnick. I should have went back for them." He continued with tears started steaming down his face.

"I should have went back"

Esmeralda didn't know what to say. This was a man who felt like family to her, who was like an older brother to her, who welcomed her into his little sibling bubble, but a man who betrayed her trust. She asked Dom to promise her that Finnick would be the one to continue on. That if anything where to happen it was Finnick that needed to be saved and not her. She can understand just a bit of why he wouldn't want to, because he sees her as family. But he promised her.

Esmeralda did feel bad for him, he just also lost the love of his life to the same people that took hers. But right now she is filled with rage, is broken, and feels likes trust is just a five letter word that means nothing.

Without a word she just left, couldn't say anything to him, and as much anger and sorrow was filled in her at this moment, she knew better than to say anything to Dom.

"I've only seen Dom once and I didn't talk to him, he talked to me though. I've talked to Paige however" Esmeralda answered after a momentary thought.

Katniss had a questioning look on her face, "oh sorry, Paige is Dom's little sister, she about your age."

Katniss nodded, "I remember you mentioned her."

"Esmeralda?" I quiet yet familiar voice filled the silence Esmeralda was sitting in.

"Paige" Esmeralda said excitedly and with a sigh of relief knowing that she was okay.

"I know more than ever now is not the time for a hug, but I needed to come see you." Paige walked over to her quickly and sat on the hospital bed with Esmeralda.

"I glad you came, I've been scared something happened to you"

"The second you threw your knife at Katniss' arrow, Dom's old team pulled me out of there and brought me here." She explained and the silence.