☆Cemetery Crows (pt.6)☆

(3rd person pov)

All three had stayed away from the singular bed that rested in the hideout. Except Maizie.

Vrena spent her time at her cottage, rarely making appearances, and Carasein would opt for the couch.

Maizie wasn't offended, she understood. She understood they weren't close enough for it. Yet, at least.

Though, she found it more peaceful. Zombies had such good hearing, and the wooden walls of the shack were so thin that she could hear Carasein's peaceful breathing when she slept. Maizie was only slowly learning how to tune it out.

When Vrena would finally show up, Maizie would treat her like her idol. Extra nice, extra careful not to say anything that would scare her away.

She'd barely even walked through the door, and Maizie was immediately on her heels like a hyper puppy.

"Do you want to go out? We can go out and get food!" said Maizie, her tone brisk.

"Can you quit your yammering for one second?" Vrena hissed. "I don't plan on being here for long, so whatever you want to say, do it quick."

She shoved her black jeweled purse into Maize's hands so hard it made Maizie stumble back.

"O-okay, we can go out later," Maizie nodded, quickly setting Vrena's bag on the table. However, the gleam of the jewels on the purse made her pause. The way each black gem shone from every angle was reminiscent of starlight. Where had she even bought it from?

"Don't be so subtle," Vrena grumbled.

Maizie forced herself to tear her eyes away. "S-sorry..."

"So?"

Maizie nodded, snapping back to reality. "Yeah! Me and Carasein were thinking of things last night."

Carasein stood up from the couch. "You're going to need to be here more often, Vrena. So we can make plans."

Nothing but a scoff came from Vrena at first.

Seconds passed. Both of them stood staring at her.

"You're serious?" she gawked. "Plans?"

"Yes," Carasein said. "Solving a..." she paused, "war. It requires emotional intelligence."

Vrena smiled, peering off to the side, her arms crossed. "Okay, Carasein. Sounds good." Her tone had robbed every drop of sarcasm from the air.

Carasein glanced at Maizie, maybe in hopes of getting a response, but there was none to receive. So instead, she just sighed.

"You don't plan on listening, do you?" she asked.

Vrena exhaled a warm hum, "I never do."

"Right," Carasein uttered, looking off to the side. Her eyes met with the wall, observing the cracks and chips in the wood, the wind whistling through the gaps like a leaky pipe.

Maizie looked between them both. To the two who would rather do anything than look at each other.

She gave a small bounce. "So are we-"
"If I go hunting with you will you shut up?" Vrena snipped.

Her harsh words caught Carasein's attention. She shot Vrena a stern look.

Maizie seemed to lack confidence now. "Um..."

Vrena rolled her eyes, took her bag from the table, and her heels made over-aggressive thumps as she left.

Carasein bit her lip, avoiding her piercings out of careful habit. She tried not to cringe. "I'm sorry, Maizie. It's not you."