☆Soul Protector (pt.18)☆

(Vrena's pov)

"What's wrong this time?" Munai asked as they opened the door.

I shrugged and pushed past them, going inside. I didn't need to have seen it to know they'd rolled their eyes.

"Where's Locket?"
"He's out, he went hunting."

Locket going hunting was incredibly out of character.

I scoffed and looked back to Munai. "Seriously?" I asked.

He just smiled and came to sit down. Reluctantly, I decided it was best if I did, too.

"Why are you here, though?" he asked me.
"I need some distractions."

He looked at me blankly. "Great, okay. Glad to know that's all I'm here for."

I hissed, "Hush, you know I'm secretly obsessed with you." I smirked.

He just snorted. "Okay, not so secret now."

Fuck this. Why not start up some conversation?

"Do you remember that one time that I walked in on you and Locket-"
"Vrena!" Munai cried.

"Right, right," I hummed, looking up at the ceiling.

It hadn't been bad, not really. It was a make-out session, or, at least, one that had been quickly evolving into something more. I'd witnessed them beginning to strip each other and it was something I never wanted to replay. However, I did think teasing them was fun.

Apparently, I had been the reason they'd stopped. No shit.

"Remember that time when you stabbed a guy in the stomach for not hugging his girlfriend?" he mocked me.

"Yes," I leaned forward, playfully slapping his cheek. "I do remember that."

I would've treated her better.

"You don't know how to show your love for people very well, do you?"

I rolled my eyes.

"She deserved better than that man-whore," I said, waving him off.

"You're a whore."
"Thank you. Let me paint your nails."

Munai began to stammer. "Do you even have-"
I whipped out a bottle of wine red nail polish.

"Why do I even ask..." they mumbled.

I hummed and pulled their hands into my lap, unscrewing the lid and letting the excess paint drip into the bottle. Wiping it anywhere else was animalistic behavior.

A gentle sigh left their mouth as I began to swipe the brush against their nails, but I was sure it wasn't out of annoyance. Being annoyed while getting free nail care was absurd.

"Are you making me pretty like you?"

"Yes, obviously." What type of question was that? "But your cuticles need touching up."

He scoffed. "Apologies."

I could feel a silence coming on and I was not going to let that happen. Awkward.

"When's Locket coming back?"
"Am I that insufferable?"

I rolled my eyes and he just softly smiled.

But like we'd telepathically beckoned him, the door opened.

A limp human body dropped to the floor and Locket walked in after it, a quite optimistic look on his face.

"Ah, Vrena! Don't suppose you've come for lunch?" Locket asked, kicking the corpse to the side like a worthless piece of paper. The action reminded me of the dismissal of the laundry that littered his bedroom floor.