☆No Feelings (pt.12)☆

(Carasein's pov)

"Hey, ladies. Guess who's back?"

"Ooh, yay!"

As I closed the door behind me, Maizie jumped up from the couch to hug me. I politely detached her as quickly as I could.

I'd gone to the market just for a quick look around, but also because I'd just needed to get out of the small space for a while.

Not that I didn't like Maizie. But we'd been cooped up for a while with Vrena, who rarely did anything to contribute to conversations, anyway, but still.

Maizie and I had helped Naomi find a decent enough home in the zombie village. "Decent" because nowhere was a good place for children in our society.

Simon had run off after we'd taken him to the shack. We didn't know where, but he occasionally stopped by, and we were able to see he was okay.

Vrena probably would've freaked out if she found out we'd brought back a dog. So maybe it was a good thing he hadn't stayed around.

"Oh, joy," Vrena murmured.

She sat on the couch, the opposite end and furthest away from Maizie. Her legs were crossed, and she was avoiding eye contact at all costs.

I sighed. One of these days I wasn't going to be able to stop myself from snapping at her.

"Did you bring anything back?" Maizie asked.

She followed me to the counter as I took off my scarf and set it down. "No, I'm sorry. Did you need anything?"

She shook her head.

"Carasein."

I turned to Vrena. "What?"

"I have to talk to you."

Her eyes then shot to Maizie, who looked oblivious. "In private."

Fuck.

I gave her a questioning look, and she sternly held my eyes for a few seconds, then stood up and went to the bedroom.

"Be right back," I told Maizie.

"Okay! Don't die," she answered with a smile.

That was probably a very real thing I had to worry about when being around Vrena.

I went after her, leaving Maizie, assuming that was what she wanted.

As soon as I entered, Vrena shot behind me and closed the door.

"You know that's probably not going to stop her from hearing, right?"
"Whatever."

I sighed. "What do you need?"

"Want me to be blunt?"

Oh no.

I answered, regardless. "Sure..."

Now I was nervous. My mind treaded through ideas of what she was going to say. But at the end of the day, she was so unpredictable sometimes.

My heart thumped in my chest, more violent than I wanted it to.

"I need you to fuck me," she said, turning away from me to put her hair up.

She couldn't be serious.

"Wh-what? You-" I stopped. "Don't you have like, so many other options?" I asked breathlessly. It felt like all the air had left my lungs. "I thought everyone was obsessed with you."

I watched as her fingers grabbed every black strand of her hair and tied it into a neat ponytail. Vrena was one of the few people I'd seen who actually looked good with the hairstyle.