☆Erosion (pt.24)☆

(Vrena's pov)

I stirred the straw around in my drink. Small bubbles rose to the top of the blood. I was quite displeased with the quality, it was awfully watery. I grimaced.

Maizie and Carasein were talking about something, but I wasn't listening. I couldn't figure out why the hell Carasein had left me stuck sitting on the same side of the booth as Maizie.

But I zoned out, looking out the window. Light rain was misting the ground outside. There were sporadic groups of trees as far as I could see. Neutral territory was near the ghouls' market, so I could make out hints of it through the rain.

The people who came either wanted peace, or didn't have any care for the war at all. It was a little bit off in the middle of nowhere, right on the border of The Abandoned, so there weren't many people occupying the space.

That must've been why the blood was horrible. The expectations were lower than the worms that dug through the dirt.

Maizie was obsessed with the waiter. She thought she was cute because she had purple bows in her hair.

Personally, I wanted to cut everyone open.

But no one gave a shit about me, so whatever. My opinion didn't matter.

A short girl came through the door. She was wearing a dress with red cherries on it. The white fabric complimented her complexion. Her skin was a cool, light brown.
She wore part of her black hair in pigtails, half up half down.

She was pretty, I had respect for her nicely done makeup, at least. Judging that was more interesting than whatever Maizie and Carasein were talking about.

"Carasein!" the girl cried.

Never mind.

I masked an eye roll.

If she was tied to Carasein then I didn't want anything to do with her.

Her voice caught Carasein's attention, though, and she turned to look at her. A smile appeared on her face.

The worst part, was that although small, Carasein's smile seemed genuine. Not like the stupid smile you were supposed to do when you saw an acquaintance after not talking for a long time.

Smile or not, I wasn't expecting her to come over to us.

Carasein quickly moved back, making room for the stranger next to her. "Come, sit down." The girl complied.

"Maizie, Vrena, this is Kingsley."

She must've been a ghoul because I'd never seen her in my life.

"We used to work together," Carasein explained briefly. "But I've known her for a long time."

You learned invaluable information every day. Joy.

"Until you left me." Kingsley glared teasingly. "It's been almost two years!"

Her voice was so high-pitched it made me want to slit her throat. It might've been worse than Maizie's. I hoped it was a first impression thing because there was no way I would've been able to work with someone like that. What had Carasein done as a profession, anyway?

"Nah, it wasn't you. I just got bored," Carasein replied with a scoff.

"Bored." Kingsley rolled her eyes and poked her shoulder.

"Wh-what do you work as?" Maizie asked, sounding way too excited. She was bouncing in her seat. Bouncing my seat. The whole ass booth.

I huffed in annoyance.