☆Alleyway (pt.11)☆

(3rd person pov)

The sun was setting, orange rays disappearing behind the hills to be replaced with the white shine illuminating from off the moon.

"Hey, Carasein!" Maizie came into the bedroom, a smile on her face.

"Hm?" Carasein looked up from what she was doing, turning to Maizie from her chair and returning the smile.

"I found this book. Um...where did I find it?" her voice softened as she asked herself the question. "Wh-whatever. Um, but I found it earlier!"

"Very neat." Carasein turned back to the desk. "What's it about?"

Maizie hesitated, palms quickly turning clammy. "Um...I-I'm not sure, exactly."

Carasein looked at her, putting a hand out. Maizie handed the book to her, getting the hint.

Dust covered the book like a dirty sheet, irritating the pads of Carasein's fingers as she held it.

"Did you find this in a pile of mud, o-or something?" she asked.

Maizie shook her head. "No, just in the dirt."

Carasein mumbled something to herself and then brushed some of the dirt off the front, grains of soil rubbing against her fingers.

Her finger traced the picture on the front cover. It looked like a children's book, but as she opened it, it appeared to be a collection of short stories. But the words all looked like messy squiggles to her.

"Carasein?" Maizie squeaked.

It took her a moment to respond, as she was still partially distracted. "Yeah?" she said finally.

"C-can you read it to me?"

"Oh...no. I don't think so, I'm sorry." Carasein pushed a sigh away and handed the book back to her.
Maizie frowned. "Oh, okay. That's okay."

There was a small huff from the corner. And as if appearing out of thin air, Vrena came out from the shadows.

"What's the problem this time?"

Carasein stared at her. "Do you care?"

"No."

"At least you're honest," she sighed. "Maizie found a book."

"Yeah, I did!" Maizie exclaimed, "I found a book! And the pictures are really pretty, look." Maizie showed it to Vrena.

Vrena gazed at the cover for a few seconds, actually taking in the details of the picture. Maizie could imagine the glimmer it would've had if it hadn't been covered in dirt.

The cover was pale green and a good material, very durable. The art style was old, yellow floral patterns decorated the edges and winged creatures stood in the center, their wings drawn in intricate detail, each curve perfect.

"Yeah, it's nice, sure."

"I think they're fairies," Maizie said matter-of-factly, hugging the book to her chest.

"Fairies don't exist," Vrena muttered.

"They might somewhere," said Carasein. "Besides, it's a book. They don't always have to be real."

"Well, I hope you guys have a fun little party reading it," Vrena said, heading back out.

"W-wait!" Maizie grabbed her arm.

Vrena scowled. "What the hell?"

"W-will you read it?" she asked her.

"Read it yourself."