31 | No Other Heart

N i c o l a s

--------------------------

The call came alarmingly late; at four AM late. Or maybe that's early

My head was pounding from the empty bottle of crappy liquor and bad ideas on my bedside table.

I was nauseous and hungover but still drunk as well and my stomach lurched as I opened my eyes, even the dark hurt.

My heart stuttered when I looked at the phone, already preparing myself for a charade of yelling and crying and shrieking, despite the fact the man was too old to be getting worked up like this.

"Bonjour, Grand-père-," I could only begin, just barely getting the words out before his laugh came bellowing through the phone.

"VOUS GARÇON FOL!" His voice was punctuating, loud enough that I had to distance the phone from my ear. (French | You crazy boy.)

But it was comforting. It was the voice I missed, the only one that genuinely calmed the waterfall inside me down until I was just a steady flowing stream. I hadn't realized how preoccupied I'd been with a certain someone, but now that it was just us two, I wanted nothing more than to crawl into his lap, the way I did when I was a young child.

His laugh bellowed loudly, shaking my heart with the same intensity it was most likely shaking his house. "Comment? Dis-moi comment tu as fait ?" (French | How? Tell me how you did it?)

I knew what he was talking about. And the question remained unanswered to me as well. How had I managed to get the painting back? And right on time for his birthday? He'd be turning 80 in just over a week.

"Un magicien ne révèle jamais ses secrets, Grand-père," I replied simply because it was easier than explaining the events of the past 3 or so months. (A magician never reveals his secrets)

I rubbed my eyes, pushing up into a sitting position on the edge of the bed.

The painting wasn't the only thing I sent in the mail to him. Two first-class tickets to New York so he could come to celebrate his Birthday here, only because Morgan said I was behind on a few projects and couldn't leave the country again, and also because Papa was off somewhere with the family's private plane.