Chapter 14

A Choice

Everyone has the choice to live their life as they wish.

"HEEEELP!" Ms. L immediately wailed and clung tighter to Chara's leg. Fortunately, she didn't have claws like a cat; otherwise, she would probably be bleeding by now. Her fingers were already sore from the extra weight of the two. She really needed to train her arms more. She heard and recognized two heads above her – Ink and Mr. N.

"Can't you watch where you're going?" the blonde pirate shouted down. Did he really not have anything better to say in this situation?

"Take my hand!" Ink called, reaching out his hand, but they were too far away. Chara feared that if she let go, her left arm wouldn't hold out for long. Then she heard a cracking sound. The wood was slowly breaking.

"Think faster!" she shouted desperately. Ink took his brush and held it down; it reached Chara. She just had to reach over. The brown-haired girl swallowed hard. If she didn't make it, both would fall into the hole. Why does this always happen to her?! She shook her head and gathered momentum, which was difficult with the pirate clinging to her leg. When she had enough momentum, she threw herself forward; at that moment, the wood broke off. She stretched her arms forward and grabbed the brush. Immediately, both were pulled upward.

"I'm alive!!" Ms. L exclaimed in relief, snot coming out of her nose as if she had cried a lot. She hugged Mr. N tightly, "What would you have done without me!?"

"Probably lived better..." the blonde muttered quietly to himself.

Chara knelt on the ground, her arms aching.

"Now, give us back the map. It won't lead you to any treasure," Ink said to the two pirates.

"Do you think we're that dumb?" the blonde asked Ink irritably. "We know this is a Necrorelic. We've made a lot of loot with something like this," he grinned at the other pirate.

"But the world will be destroyed for it," Chara said, feeling they didn't need to hide anything from the two. They had already lost precious time because of them. "This map leads us to the only way to save your world. If your world disappears, there will be no treasures left to find."

Both pirates looked at each other in confusion. Ms. L looked down at the hole; in a short time, it had grown much larger and was swallowing the sea. It flowed down like a waterfall and disappeared into the black nothingness; soon, there would be no water left.

Chara heard sighs from the pirates.

"Fine, but that doesn't mean we're friends. We remain enemies," Mr. N explained grimly, pressing the map into their hands.

"Have you happened to see a small dark-haired girl?" Chara asked the two pirates, describing Frisk's appearance while Ink summoned a new flying head. Unfortunately, both shook their heads in response.

"You should fly to Babylon; it's safe there," explained Ink as he and Chara climbed onto the head. Even though they were still rivals, Ink didn't want to leave both of them without hope.

"We have a flying ship; we'll survive just fine," Ms. L said confidently, placing her hands on her hips. But then they heard a crash, and another piece of the board fell into the abyss.

"I think we'll take the path there after all..." the taller pirate mumbled uncertainly.

And so, they left the peculiar pirates behind and continued flying. Ink opened the map and asked where the first three hearts were, but it only showed a blank image. Frowning, he asked where the fifth heart was, but it revealed nothing.