Chapter 29: Lenalee's Innocence

The wonderful Lenalee :)

After Lenalee had yelled at me for not saving Allen I couldn't hold back the sadness and pain I felt inside. I ran off below deck and screamed until my throat hurt, I cried until my eyes and head were throbbing. I didn't know what to do...

"Why can't I save anyone...?" I whispered quietly hugging myself. I felt a hand rest on my shoulder, I looked back and saw Lavi standing there with a frown on his face.

I stood up and hugged him tightly and cried more. He held me against his chest and I tried my best to calm down.

"I wanted to protect Allen, I promised Kumoi I would protect everyone!" I said loudly and he held me close not saying a word.

Finally I pulled away and looked up at his face. He looked like he was suffering just as much as I was.

"Crystal... I know you wanted to protect him. You were going to go find him... maybe there's a reason your wings stopped working then. Maybe this was meant to happen." I felt something rip open in my chest.

"You're telling me you're okay with Allen dying?!" He shook his head and touched my cheek.

"No, but I think we can only move forward now..." I smacked him across the face and went back on to the deck.

Allen didn't deserve to die... it wasn't fate that he was meant to, he died because I couldn't get to him...

A light from the sky made me come out of my thoughts right as it made contact with my body. I coughed up a little blood as I collapsed to the deck with the sails and wood over me.

"Crystal!!!" I heard Lavi yell and I could feel my wounds healing from Miranda's Time Record. Miranda was the Exorcist they gave us as replacement for Allen.

"Don't worry about me." I said pushing the stuff off of me glaring at the Level 3 Akuma before me.

Innocence activate!

My Blood Wings came out and I flew up into the air towards the Akuma.

"Title: Fallen Angel." It said like it was trying to be a filmmaker.

"Nice title, but I'm not falling anytime soon!" Right as I was going to collide with it I flew straight up catching it off guard. It flew up after me at a speed that surprised me.

How is it matching my speed?!

"Title: Bloody Angel!" I then lost sight of it. I looked around and that's when I looked up to see it shoot at me. My wings folded around myself and blocked the attack.

"I won't fall for the same attack twice." It vanished and that's when I felt myself getting yanked down. I couldn't pull myself up even when I saw nothing had me.

What's happening to me?!

I saw everyone looking at me as I was pulled into the water. I struggled to stay above the waves and that's when the purple chains appeared.

"Well Angel it's time for you to meet your demise." The Akuma appeared over me. I struggled to get my wings to work.

"I won't lose..." I muttered and went under the water.

Innocence activate!

My dark innocence form took over and I used my speed to out run the chains that threatened to grab me again.

I jumped out of the water and on to the Akuma who had gone back on to the boat to hurt everyone else.

"Thought you got rid of me didn't you?" I said and then kicked it off the boat and into the water. The purple chains wrapped around my legs and I struggled to move.

"Crystal!?" Lenalee called.

"Focus on the Akuma in the air. There's more than just this one!" The Akuma yanked me off the ship again.

"Title: Drowning General." I felt my body being yanked down towards the water again.

I have to get away! If I don't I'll-!

My thoughts were cut off as Lenalee kicked the Akuma away, the chains vanished from my body.

"Lenalee?!" She looked at me with a smile.

"Go help Lavi and the others." I looked at her shocked as I hovered over the water.

"I can't just leave you!" She turned and kicked up a gust sending me flying back to the ship. "LENALEE!!!!" I yelled and hit the deck coughing as my wounds healed.

"Crystal? Are you alright?" Miranda asked. I nodded and then looked up at the sky.

"I've had enough of these Akuma! I'm sick of watching my friends die!!" I jumped up into the air and then switched my innocence back to my wings. Once I was above the clouds I could see the three other Akuma.

"Look one of them got up here!" One of the Level 2 Akuma said looking at me.

"You've hurt my friends I'll never forgive you for that! Hell's Judgement!" Red lights shot up through the clouds and destroyed each Akuma instantly.

After they were destroyed the clouds vanished.

"I have to help Lena-" The pain throughout my body made me shut up. Blood ran down the side of my head and my chest.

I'm too far from the ship...

I started descending from the sky when I saw the bright orange explosion in the distance.

"LENALEE!!!!?" I yelled flying towards the area. I saw Lavi on his hammer extending in the same direction. "Lavi!" I called and flew down next to him.

"Crystal, you're bleeding." I laughed.

"So are you." I stopped when I saw an Akuma standing their holding a giant crystal.

"Could you help? This is starting to hurt..." It said and that's when I realized that inside the crystal was Lenalee.

"Lenalee?!" I flew to the crystal.

Did her Innocence protect her?

"Dark Innocence Activate!" I said and my wings vanished once again. I grabbed the crystal, my strength increased as well as my speed in this form.

"We need to get her back to the ship!" We all and yes, that includes the Akuma, flew back to the ship.

I set the crystal down and felt my heart sink as I stared at Lenalee. Her long hair was gone, her clothes were completely torn off and she looked like she was in pain.

I backed away and looked at the Akuma which had said it was a modified demon created by General Cross.

"That idiot." I said loud enough for the Akuma to glare at me.

"He's not an idiot!" I looked up at it with cold eyes.

"I have no problem with destroying you..." It flinched back hiding behind Lavi and Krory.

I turned as the light of Lenalee's innocence shined and she was released from it's crystalized form.

"Lenalee!" Lavi said grabbing her. She was crying when she opened her eyes.

"Lavi, am I still even a part of this world?" I felt tears stream down my own face. Her legs had these weird black circles on them.

"Lenalee..." She looked at me and smiled a little.

"I'm glad you're alright, Crystal. I'm sorry I yelled at you for Allen..." I went to her side and touched her cheeks.

"Don't apologize, just worry about getting rest."

Lavi picked her up and took her below deck.

Could Lenalee's Innocence be the Heart?