Recent fire

WASHINGTON TWP. — For 20 years, Mildred and Richard Beamer called the Fairmount Children's Home their home. Richard was superintendent and Mildred worked as matron. They kept a rein on the county facility's operations. They took care of the children — sometimes 125 of them — placed there after they had been taken from bad homes or problem parents

 They took care of the children — sometimes 125 of them — placed there after they had been taken from bad homes or problem parents

Richard C. Bixler for The Repository

DOUSING FLAMES. Firefighters estimate they poured more than 2.5 million gallons of water on the Fairmount Children's Home trying to extinguish a fire at the main building early Sunday morning. No one was injured in the blaze. About 100 firefighters from seven departments fought the fire at the abandoned home on Union Avenue NE in Washington Township.

"I watched smoke come out of my bathroom window today," Mildred said Sunday evening. "It was pretty sad."

The main building at the Fairmount home burned on Sunday morning. Much of the building, which is in the 6700 block of Union Street NE, about four miles south of Alliance, collapsed because of the fire.

Washington Township Fire Chief Terry Wilson said a cause for the fire has not been determined. The Stark County Arson Task Force was set to visit the building today and investigate how the blaze started.

Wilson is convinced the fire is suspicious.

Washington Township firefighters extinguished a small apartment fire just south of the Fairmount home shortly after midnight Sunday, Wilson said. At about 2:45 a.m., Wilson was driving home from the fire station. He passed by the Fairmount home. The building was dark.

The fire was reported at 4 a.m. — less than 90 minutes after Wilson had driven past.

"At 4 o'clock when we got the call, the whole sky was lit up," Wilson said. A fire that large, that spread that quickly, had to have help, he figures.

The building that burned was vacant, Wilson said. Like several others at the site, it had no heat or electricity.

Wilson said firefighters couldn't get inside the building, so they battled flames from the outside. Crews were at the scene for about 30 minutes when the center roof collapsed.

More than 100 firefighters using 24 trucks fought the blaze. Wilson's department received aid from the Minerva, Marlboro, Nimishillen and Lexington townships, and North Georgetown and Homeworth in Columbiana County.

An aerial truck from the Minerva department poured 1.6 million gallons of water onto the fire, Wilson said. He estimates that firefighters used more than 2.5 million gallons of water to fight the blaze.

Fairmount home's main building was built in the 1870s and was one of several at the county children's home. A greenhouse in front of the facility still is used and operates as Fairmount Gardens. At one time the facility had five cottages, a barn, slaughterhouse and other buildings. During its early years, Fairmount operated a farm.