1

*Chapter One*

[Ethan's Outfit above]
- Ethan's POV -

I look at myself in the mirror, bags under my eyes. I had received the letter a week ago and I haven't slept properly since.

You are required to dress up for the auction, looking nice for your new 'owner'. Really im wearing nothing special though. Black forest, slightly tight pants with black Nike shoes covering my feet. A black shirt and jacket covering my torso. It's as good as it gets.

"E! Time to go!" Juliet screeches from, im assuming the living room.

"Coming Jules." I yell back unenthusiastically.

I zip up my suitcase and hold it by it's black handle, pulling the small thing behind me. My mother and Juliet follow me out towards the car.

I inhale the air, smelling the sweet pine from the trees and the slight scent of fresh baked crispy apple pie from the old lady next door.

Shoving the annoying bag into the car next to Juliet's pink car seat, I help her in the car buckling her clasps carefully and slowly. Hopping into the passenger seat I look over at my mom.

I've never realized how tired she looks. The lines on her forehead mostly formed from worry. The creases near her mouth from laughing and smiling. Her brown orbs boring into the road, as if she were in a deep thought not even realizing where she is going. Grey streaks sticking out from the brown in her messy mane that is pulled up into a bun. She was getting older and tired.

"Ethan?" My mother tilts her head, looking at me.

I stare at her confused, then look at my surroundings. The overly large building in front of me. A dome shaped building, covered in grey paint. There's one big black door to get in, which is the same door to get out. No windows at all. Preventing any plans of escape.

Sighing, I face my mother again. I don't want to leave her. I can't leave her with a drunken father who is constantly in and out. Or Juliet. What will happen to Jules when she gets old enough to realize how horrible dad is. My mother already lost my brother.

Edward got auctioned off. But he managed to escape one day. He came back to us, to warn us about what happens in the hands of the people that buy us. Just as he burst through the door they got him though. Right in front of my mother and me, his throat was sliced.

I remember so clearly how the thick liquid rushed down his body. How terrified I was. I was only a young child that had witnessed my older brother get murdered. He didn't deserve it.

"I love you mom." I finally mumble.

She nods in acknowledgment but as if she is unable to speak.

"Jules. Take care of mommy, okay?" Twisting in my seat to look at her she nods fiercely.

Stepping out of the small car, I walk around to grab my luggage. I open the door and place the bag on the ground, opening my mother's door I hug her tight.

"I love you. Please never forget that." I whisper to her, not wanting to let go.

"Please don't be like Edward." Her voice cracks as she speaks.

I nod, feeling guilty for her tears. Walking around the car with my bag i then open Juliet's door.

"Don't leave E!" She begins to sob.

"Shh. Juliet. I have to. I don't have a choice." I fight back tears of my own as I lean in the car, hugging my baby sister.

Her brown curls tickle my neck as her brown orbs pour out tears.

"Please." She begs.

"Juliet. Im sorry. I love you." I croak as I pull away, trying to ignore her pleads.

Closing her door, I wipe my tears and stand up straight. I can do this. Sucking in a deep breath I tightly grab the handle to the bag, heading towards the door.

Instantly as I reach the door, he security guard looks at me.

"Name?" His deep voice slightly intimidating.

"Ethan. Ethan Ezell." I mumble, waiting impatiently to get this done and over with.

I scan him over. Messy clothes that have stains in too many places to even bother counting. His scalp free of hair because his chin holds most of it. His sausage fingers scan over the list.

"Ah yes. The brother of the boy who basically committed suicide." He gives a creepy, uncomfortable smile.

I nod, trying not to think about Edward.

"Right this way Mr. Ezell." He opens the door and holds it open.

I walk in, meeting darkness. He follows me, slamming the door. Suddenly lights come on and im met with a terrifying room. Almost like a torture chamber.

Piles of clothes in certain areas, a rack that looks like it contains ropes. Maybe even leashes and collars on other racks. Prison cells on both sides, only some containing people. Most even calling out to me to help them. Distant screaming even echos off the walls.

The man begins walking to the cells and I follow, not wanting to get hurt. He incoherently mumbles some names.

"Ah! Ethan Ezell. Here's your cell." He flashes his creepy smile once again but this time reveals his yellow and black teeth.

"Put this collar on and get in." He tosses a black collar at my feet.

I pick the collar up and step into the cell, slowly walking to the back and sitting on a dusty bench. Looking at the collar I notice a tag, like the ones dogs have on their collars. My name carved into the tag. I put on the thin black collar and sigh.

"Why didn't you help us!" A girl in the cell across from me practically screeches.

"I don't want to die just because I didn't obey the man." I growl, becoming irritated.

She remains quiet and I lean my head against the cool wall behind me. I wish I wasn't sixteen.

***Author //
So that's the first chapter. Im sorry if its pretty sucky. Im attempting to be descriptive because that is a weakness in my writing.
Question: how many siblings do you have??
I technically have a half brother and sister and then two step brothers and one step sister. But none of them live with me.
LOL UPDATING THIS QUESTION IN 2024 I NOW HAVE 2 HALF BROTHERS AND 1 HALF SISTER. NO STEP SIBLINGS ANYMORE. AND I HAVE A CHILD NOW BAHAHAHA// ***