Chapter 19 - Emotions

*one day later*

I entered school the next morning to be greeted by everyone at my locker. Celine took a step in front of the others and spoke, "Good morning, Aveline!"

Her voice was extraordinarily happy, for reasons unknown to me. Everything about her demeanour was just a bit off. Nevertheless, I still replied nicely, "Morning Celine, I guess. Your presence isn't making me want to murder you today, so that really is good."

She let out a small giggle, but I ended our interaction by kicking open my locker violently. Samantha and Hazel broke out of their conversation at the realisation that I had arrived and started including me. Of course, the only thing that they were including me in was some boring gossip session and random talk of a GSA club (whatever that is).

Corey began speaking to me as well, causing a lot of noise as well as an extreme headache. The only person in our group that I sincerely wanted to talk to was the only one who hadn't said a word to me. I conversed with Corey at my locker for a short while before becoming bored of his ridiculous kindness.

I just wished things were like they had been before Ashton's death. Everyone was being too nice to me.

Since I was tired of my talk with my fake ex boyfriend, I cut off Sam and Hazel's conversation yet again to ask them a question, "So when did you to get together? I miss a week of school and suddenly everyone is gay."

Corey pouted at me ending our chat, muttering, "I'm not gay." I made eye contact with him and raised my eyebrows suggestively before Hazel responded.

"You missed more than a week, but we got together last Wednesday."

I nodded, gesturing for further information. "But we kissed a long time ago," Sam added onto what her girlfriend said. "I've always kind of liked her."

Samantha pressed her lips against Hazel's forehead awkwardly, almost trying to prove it to me. I shrugged and was bored once again, studying their encounter. Hazel shoved Sam away from her lightly.

"Too intimate, Sammy," She whispered, to which Samantha chuckled loudly.

"So we can fuck and it's fine, but if I peck your head it's 'too intimate'," She questioned jokingly. Hazel turned bright red at that, much to everyone in the group's amusement. She swatted at Sam once more, her blush slowly fading.

€£€£€£€

*six hours later*

"Oh, Aveline," I heard a taunting voice mutter from behind me during seventh hour that very same day. I dropped my second finished cigarette onto the ground and stomped on it before turning around. I wasn't worried about getting caught; I knew that voice. "You didn't do the requirements."

I chuckled, equally taunting. "Requirements? June, I don't give a fuck who you tell."

I whipped around to face the bitch, my smirk matching hers. Obviously, it faltered when I mentioned how uncaring I was. Her insecurity shining through, she tried to comeback, "Well I know lots of things about you that I could tell people."

"Like?" I questioned. The truth was, I had given up to a point where I really didn't care what anyone knew or didn't know about me. I was tired of all the bullshit. "I honestly don't think that anything you know about could actually damage me. I'm not the little bitch who wanted everyone to like her like I used to be. I'm not like you anymore."

I lit up another cig at that. The moment I breathed in the smoke, everything in me calmed and a small smile shone on my face. I shooed June away with my hand, which I was sure that she didn't like. I never saw her face, though, because the hottest guy in school had just left the building.

"Caden!" I called. Once he noticed me, I waved him over. Caden jogged towards me quickly, backpack slung over his shoulder casually. He stood in front of me and simply watched as I took another drag of my cig.

"What's up?" He asked, eyes still focused directly on my lips. He ran a subtle hand through his hair, silently driving me crazy, but still causing a smirk to appear on my face.

"Drive me home?" I suggested, going along with our routine. He hesitated for the first time before nodding quickly. He turned over his shoulder and began strolling to his car. I obviously followed. We made our way across the parking lot, not speaking. As soon as I let myself into the passengers seat of his car, Caden decided to converse.

"Make sure you roll down the window with that," He gestured to my cigarette. I complied while he added, "Also, smoking is bad and you might be addicted. Just saying."

I rolled my eyes. I had heard that from nearly everyone in our group. Who knew they were all so stuck up?

€£€£€£€

*two hours later*

With one last, long kiss, Caden and I finished what we were doing. Laying in his bed next to each other, naked and feeling entirely open to each other, we began our usual pillowtalk once again.

"You haven't been talking much at school," I commented. We were both staring straight at his bland ceiling, never exchanging eye contact or touching. It was the best and the worst.

"I do too," He denied. "Celine keeps me busy."

I nodded, a light flush coming over me. I hoped she didn't actually take my (clearly very good) advice. "What do you guys talk about?"

"Oh, everything," He sighed. For once, he turned to face me. I copied his actions, and soon enough we were staring each other in the eyes. His baby blues held the most emotion I had ever seen come from him. "I can talk about everything with Celine. She kind of like... understands? I don't know."

Caden's voice slowly got quieter. I kept my gaze on his eyes, watching them fade out from reality. I could tell he was zoning out. I knew I couldn't have him then. He would never like someone like me. A fucked up 'feisty girl'. And I didn't know why that made me so upset. I couldn't remember when my feeling for Caden began. One day when we kissed I started feeling something more and one day when we fucked I was more passionate.

But for him it was always the same.

€£€£€£€

*one day later*

The next morning I woke up to texts from Samantha that seemed rather suspicious.

Sam (sent at 12:01 pm)

i feel so weird tonight

Sam (sent at 12:04 pm)

i have to do something

Sam (sent at 12:05 pm)

im going to regret this

Sam (sent at 3:43 am)

oh fuck

Sam (sent at 3:44 am)

dont fucking tell hazel

Sam (sent at 3:46 am)

fuck

Huh. Whatever it was, I was surely going to find out that day.