21: true love trumps

A/N: And another one! Note that this chapter follows straight on from the last... enjoy 😊
———

Elias (continued)

I lost myself in Axel's bronze eyes. I couldn't tear my eyes away. He seemed hopeful and it gave me the confidence required to move. I pulled him forwards into a hug. After a terrifying moment where I feared he would push me away, he wrapped his arms around my waist and nestled against me. I sighed in relief and settled my chin on his shoulder.

"You are an idiot," I told him.

I pulled my head back to smile at him and smoothed down his soft golden locks. He looked at me with a mixture of hope and happiness and confusion.

"You're an idiot, but that was a very brave thing to do. I'm proud of you. And I love you," I winced as I threw myself in the deep end, "I never stopped loving you."

Axel was frozen in my arms, mouth hanging slightly open. He stared at me with wide eyes as I blushed and racked my brain with an idea on how to backtrack. Before I could mumble anything at all, Axel tugged me closer and slammed his lips down on mine.

Our bodies and mouths collided with unsuppressed passion and desire. I revelled in the feeling of his pink lips, the swipe of his agile tongue and the scrapes of his teeth. We kissed as if we are each other's oxygen and I didn't want it to end. Obviously, kissing, even Axel, is no substitute for oxygen and we eventually had to pull apart, gasping for air.

"I love you too Eli," Axel gasped past his pants.

Fireworks exploded in my mind, the little people in my head throwing a party. My heart felt like it was expanding. A huge golden balloon rising up, beaming like the sun. I gulped at air as we stayed hugging beneath the tree. Neither of us wanted to let go. It should have been painful, we held on to each other so tightly, but it wasn't. I could never get enough of the feel of Axel's warm muscular body pressed against mine. My head rested on his shoulder, his own on mine.

"I had forgiven you when you apologised, you know," I finally murmured.

"Really?" Axel asked, confused, "But then why-"

"Because it wouldn't have been the right thing to do. I needed to know that you wouldn't betray me again," I explained.

"You know I never meant to betray you. Everything went wrong that day," Axel sighed sadly.

"I know," I soothed and rubbed circles on his back.

He seemed to breathe a sigh of relief and sunk deeper in my arms.

"I had hoped that if I finally accepted who I was and came out, while ruining my reputation and my friendships, you might see that I have stopped being a coward. And I did it for you. I couldn't bear losing you," Axel mumbled against my neck.

I felt a bubble of warmth and happiness spread through me. I recognised it as love. I loved him. I fucking loved Axel Rowe. And he loved me back.

"I kept my sexuality in secret for so long, I couldn't judge the cowardice that we both shared," I reassured him, "And the fact that you risked everything for me showed me the truth, that it wasn't all a mistake, that you didn't mean to betray me. And maybe some of your friends will accept you as you are. You're still the amazing and handsome man you were before," I grinned.

"Thanks," Axel snorted slightly, "Although I doubt Zedd will."

The thought of Zedd made me clench my jaw. I could cope with him bullying me, he'd done it many times before. But I didn't want him to bully Axel.

"His loss. Why would you want to be friends with him anyway?" I grumbled.

"I know he seems like an asshole," Axel sighed, "But he used to be different. He was really goofy and a great storyteller. Then he shut down and became the hard coldhearted homophobic Zedd you know."