Chapter Twenty-One

New Year's Eve

"I wanna go on the lunch cruise now, not later!" Dahlia said to Clover who was sitting on the couch watching a movie. It was her favorite movie, My Best Friend's Wedding, and it just started getting good, so she wasn't going anywhere.

Walker wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her cheek. "We can go together, let Clover watch her movie." He whispered in her ear, which made her squirm.

"That tickles, but okay!" She gushed and walked to her room to get dressed.

The whole family was together, the DuPont's and the Phoenix's, plus Walker. It was Kane's idea for them all to go away together, and Clover's idea for them to go to Big Cedar Lodge in Missouri.

"I'm telling you, that was so much fun. I loved the bubbles in the foot bath," Nelly said as she walked in the door with Greta. They just came back from the resort spa, and they loved every second of it.

"The bubbles were great, but the masseuse had magical hands!" Greta emphasized and sat on the other couch and smiled at her daughter and son-in-law.

"Look at the love birds," Nelly commented cheekily.

Kane flashed a smile at his mother and Greta and went to the kitchen. "Y'all want anythin?" He asked.

"Ooh! I want some hot cocoa, marshmallows, onion rings, and some ham and cheese lettuce wraps, please!" Clover said and licked her lips at her words.

Greta and Nelly made faces at her strange food choices. "I'm fine son," Nelly responded.

"Same here," said Greta.

"I got you, darlin. Just sit tight and I'll bring out your snacks," He said kindly which made the ladies sigh.

Greta winked at Nelly and smiled. "Your son is so kind," She commented, and then she noticed something. "Where's Dahlia and Walker?"

Clover thought for a moment and then spoke. "Dahlia's getting ready to go on the lunch cruise and Walker's waiting for her, they should be down soon,"

"Hurry up! For a tall guy you walk like a turtle, your legs are long enough for you to take larger steps than me, but I'm still quicker! It's like that story with those two animals, wait! In the end, the slower was more successful, so maybe I should walk slower than you so that I can win in the end!" Dahlia rambled as she walked down the hall with Walker.

"Make sure that you guys are back in time to get dressed for the party!" Greta said and Dahlia stopped walking and looked for the source of the command.

Walker noticed her struggle and turned her body towards the living room. "Oh! Thanks, Walker! Hey mom!" She said and walked slowly to the living room.

Greta waved at her daughter and tapped the seat next to her. "Hi, Flora. You look pretty and cozy," She noticed and Clover turned away from the tv and shushed her.

"Please be quiet," Clover hissed and looked towards the kitchen. "Kane! I'm hungry," She said and pouted.

Kane came rushing out of the kitchen with her hot cocoa with lettuce wraps and marshmallows on a plate. "Aww, I didn't mean to make you wait so long, darlin," He said and placed the food on her lap with a serving tray. He didn't want to spoil Clover, but he loved taking care of her. She was his heart, and now she was pregnant, so he had a better reason to take care of her.

"Walker, why don't you spoil me like that? Though, I'm not pregnant, if I was it'd be like another Biblical miracle! I love Mary, but I don't know what I'd do if I was pregnant with Jesus! You would stay with me though, right? It wouldn't be my fault, and I'm still a virgin, so I'd be psyched out! That's so impossible, but God does whatever He wants though," Dahlia blathered, which had Greta thinking. Dahlia's babbling had been happening more often, she didn't want to suggest taking her pills, but she would let Walker know.