chapter thirty-three

They're in the motel researching a case they're working on. Pictures are pinned up on the walls and Sam is at the table, researching on his laptop with Evie on his lap. Dean walks in, holding a brown paper bag.

"So, was I right? Is it the serial killing chimney sweep?" Dean asks.

"Yep. It's, uh, it's actually Dick Van Dyke." Sam states.

"Who?" Dean asks.

"Mary Poppins." Sam says.

"What's that?" Dean asks.

"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious." Evie says, incredibly mispronouncing the word.

"She okay?" Dean asks.

"Oh, come on-- never mind." Sam tells his brother. "Uncle Deanie doesn't know any movies outside of cowboy movies." Sam mumbles to his daughter, kissing her temple.

"Well, it turns out that Walsh is the second guy in town grabbed out of his house this month." Dean says.

"Oh, yeah?" Sam asks.

"Yeah." Dean nods.

"The other guy get dragged up the chimney too?" Sam asks.

"Don't know. Witnesses said they heard a thump on the roof. So, what the hell do you think we're dealing with?" Dean asks.

"Actually, I have an idea." Sam says.

"Yeah?" Dean asks.

"Uh, it's gonna sound crazy." Sam says.

"What could you possibly say that sounds crazy to me?"

"Um... evil Santa."

"Yeah, that's crazy."

"Yeah... I mean, I'm just saying that there's some version of the anti-Claus in every culture. You got Belsnickel, Krampus, Black Peter. Whatever you want to call it, there's all sorts of lore."

"Saying what?"

"Saying... back in the day, Santa's brother went rogue and now he shows up around Christmas time, but instead of bringing presents, he punishes the wicked."

"By hauling their ass up chimneys?"

"For starters, yeah."

"So, this is your theory, huh? Santa's shady brother?"

"Well, uh-- I'm just saying, that's what the lore says."

"Santa doesn't have a brother." Dean states. "There is--" Sam panics, throwing a paper ball at him to stop Dean, but he continues anyway. "--no Santa."

Evie looks up with wide eyes. She watched The Santa Clause the other day and he was perfectly real then.

"Santa's not real?" Evie asks. Dean's eyes widen and Sam glares at his brother.

"Thanks a lot, Dean." Sam says through gritter teeth and Dean shrugs. Sam turns to Evie and she looks up at him. "Santa is perfectly real, pumpkin. Uncle Deanie's just being annoying." Sam tells her, hugging her, glaring at Dean over her head.