chapter forty-one

Dean and Evie are in the Impala while Sam is getting information on the case they're working. Dean is reading something while scratching his arm and Evie is in the backseat, playing with her dog.

The passenger door opens making Dean jump and Sam climbs in.

"Hey. Any luck at the county clerk's office?" Sam asks.

"I'm not sure I'd call it luck. Frank's wife, Jessie, was a manic depressive. She went off her meds back in '88 and vanished. They found her two weeks later, three towns over. Strung up in her motel room, suicide." Dean informs.

"Any chance Frank helped her along to the other side?" Sam asks.

"No, Frank was working the swing shift when she disappeared. Airtight alibi." Dean turns the car on and begins driving. "How was Frank's pad?"

"Clean. Searched it top to bottom. No EMF, no hex bags, no sulfur." Sam says.

"So probably not ghosts, no witches, no demons. 3 down and 97 to go."

"Yeah." Sam sighs before looking at the speedometer. "Dude, you're going 20."

"And?"

"That's the speed limit."

"What? Safety's a crime now?" Dean drives through an intersection, passing their hotel.

"Dude, where are you going? That was our hotel."

"Sam, I'm not gonna make a left-hand turn into oncoming traffic. I'm not suicidal." Dean says and thinks for a moment. "Did I just say that? That was kind of weird."

"Do you hear something?" Sam asks after a noise starts going off. He searches his jacket before pulling out the EMF meter that's going. He moves it closer to Dean making it go crazy.

"Am I haunted? Am I haunted?!"

+++

Sam is on the phone with Bobby, a box of donuts in his other hand, and Evie in his arms, eating a chocolate sprinkled donut. Bobby hangs up when he hears music from the Impala. He walks over and sees Dean lying in the front seat, air drumming to Eye of the Tiger. Sam bangs on the roof of the car making Dean jump up. He turns the radio off, getting out of the car.

"Dude. Look at this." Dean shows Sam his left arm that has scratches on it.

"I just talked to Bobby." Sam says.

"And?" Dean asks. He smells the box of donuts that Sam hands him before throwing it into the car. Sam looks perplexed between the box and Dean.

"Um, well, you're not gonna like it." Sam says.

"What?" Dean asks.

"It's a ghost sickness." Sam informs.

"Ghost sickness?"

"Yeah."

"God, no."

"Yeah."