chapter fifty-six

"Dean and Sammy Winchester." The two said man sit across from a woman and her daughter while Evie sits on Sam's lap. "So, how long has it been?"

"The summer before 6th grade." Sam states.

"Mmm, I remember. You assigned yourself your own reading list." The woman smiles fondly and Dean chuckles.

"That's right. I forgot about that." Dean says.

"Your mom happens to be the best babysitter we ever had." Sam tells the teenager.

"Well, when I was a maid at the Mayflower, out on the interstate-- long before you were even an idea-- their daddy used to pass through town and leave the boys with me while he went off to... work. One time, he was gone for 2 weeks." The woman recalls.

"Two weeks?" The girl asks.

"Mm-hmm." The woman nods. "Oh, he'd always come limping back. He loved you boys."

"DId you know what he did all that time?" The girl asks.

"Little Sammy kept trying to tell me. Of course, I didn't believe him. Not at first, anyway." The woman says.

"Katie, our dad, um, happened to be an expert at getting rid of ghosts. And now, so are we." Sam informs.

"That's why I called them, sweetie. They can help us." The woman tells her child.

"Sounds like you guys got yourself a poltergeist." Dean says as the woman's husband walks in, carrying suitcases.

"Started a month or two after we moved in." The man says.

"Yeah, first it was, uh, just bumps and knocks and scratches on the walls. And then it started breaking things." The woman informs.

"And then it attacked Katie?" Sam asks.

"That was 2 nights ago." The man says.

"Can you show them, honey?" The woman gently asks her daughter.

Katie stands up and lifts her shirt revealing the words Murdered Chylde carved in her stomach. Evie's eyes widen, cowering into Sam a little.

""Murdered Chylde."" Sam reads and Katie lowers her shirt.

"Katie, everything's gonna be fine. I promise. Why don't you guys take yourselves a little vacation, and, uh, we'll take care of it." Dean says.

"Thank you." The woman sighs, relieved.

+++

They're at a diner and Sam and Evie are sitting next to each other, Dean across from Sam. Dean is currently waiting for their order.

"Uh, bacon burger turbo, large chili cheese fry, uh, chicken tenders with fries, and a Health Quake salad shake?" The waiter asks.

"I know. I know. It's, uh... it's not mine." Dean states, taking the food and going to the table. He gives Evie her food, placing the salad in front of Sam. He sits down. Sam adds the dressing to the salad before putting the lid back on and shaking it.