chapter forty-nine

They're in the motel and it's nighttime. The brothers went to a comic book shop and found out there were books written about them. They came back to the motel and almost immediately started reading them and researching about them.

Dean is lying on the bed, flipping through one of the books and Sam is at the table on his laptop and Evie is on his lap, holding her dog.

"This is freakin' insane. How's this guy know all this stuff?" Dean asks.

"You got me." Sam sighs.

"Everything is in here. I mean everything. From the racist truck to-- to me having sex. I'm full frontal in here, dude." Dean says, getting up and going over to Sam, sitting beside him. "How come we haven't heard of them before?"

"They're pretty obscure. I mean, almost zero circulation. Uh, started in '05. The publisher put out a couple dozen before going bankrupt. And, uh, the last one-- "No Rest for the Wicked"-- ends with you going to Hell." Sam says, showing the laptop to Dean.

"I reiterate. Freaking insane." Dean says, browsing the website. "Check it out. There's actually fans. There's not many of them, but still. Did you read this?"

"Yeah." Sam nods.

"Although for fans, they sure do complain a lot. Listen to this-- Simpatico says "the demon storyline is trite, cliched, and overall craptastic." Yeah, well, screw you, Simpatico. We lived it." Dean mutters.

"Yeah. Well, keep reading. It gets better." Sam says.

"There are Sam girls and Dean girls and-- what's a slash fan?" Dean asks.

"As in... Sam-slash-Dean. Together."

"Like, together together?"

"Yeah."

"They do know we're brothers, right?"

"Doesn't seem to matter."

"Oh, come on. That... that's just sick." Dean shuts the laptop.

"What's sick?" Evie asks.

"Definitely nothing you need to worry about." Sam tells her.

"Trust me if we have to worry about it in the future, I'm probably not talking you then." Dean says. Evie pouts and her eyes get a bit teary, not wanting her uncle to hate her. Sam sees her sadness and gives a bitch face to Dean. "Okay, shortcake, I'll talk to you. But trust me, what that means will not matter now or in the future because it's never going to happen. Trust me when you understand it, you'll think it's sick too."

"Why can't you tell me what's sick now though?" Evie asks.

"Okay, you know how mommy and daddy loved each other?" Sam asks.

"Yeah." Evie says.

"And you know how daddy and Uncle Deanie love each other?"

"Yeah."

"And they're completely different?"

"Yeah."

"Well, these people want daddy and Uncle Deanie to love each other like how mommy and daddy loved each other."