If You Have Fallen Into Sin

1 Samuel 12:16-25
ESV
16 Now therefore stand still and see this great thing that the Lord will do before your eyes. 17 Is it not wheat harvest today? I will call upon the Lord, that he may send thunder and rain. And you shall know and see that your wickedness is great, which you have done in the sight of the Lord, in asking for yourselves a king.” 18 So Samuel called upon the Lord, and the Lord sent thunder and rain that day, and all the people greatly feared the Lord and Samuel.19 And all the people said to Samuel, “Pray for your servants to the Lord your God, that we may not die, for we have added to all our sins this evil, to ask for ourselves a king.” 20 And Samuel said to the people, “Do not be afraid; you have done all this evil. Yet do not turn aside from following the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart. 21 And do not turn aside after empty things that cannot profit or deliver, for they are empty. 22 For the Lord will not forsake his people, for his great name's sake, because it has pleased the Lord to make you a people for himself. 23 Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by ceasing to pray for you, and I will instruct you in the good and the right way. 24 Only fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things he has done for you. 25 But if you still do wickedly, you shall be swept away, both you and your king.”

Often after falling into sin, our response is to hide and run from God. That was Adam's response after he sinned (Genesis 3). God sought Adam, God called on Adam but Adam hid because of shame.

Sin brings shame. Sin brings fear. Sin brings disgrace. We feel so sinful, so broken, so horrible that we feel shameful. We feel we failed God. That we have fallen short.

In this response to hide ourselves we run further from God. We feel unworthy to pray. We feel unworthy to speak to God. We feel unworthy to communicate with God and serve Him. We feel that we are far too gone, we make too many mistakes for God to still love and be patient with us.

I'm here to tell you that nothing can separate you from the love of God. God's love isn't based on what you do and your performance. God loves you no matter what you do but He doesn't love our sin. Though God loves us, He doesn't leave us how we are but seeks to grow us to become who He called us to be.

God loves you because you're His. He made you. He created plans for your life. You're His creation and He loves what He made. God's love for you isn't so weak to be dependent on your performance or else God would only love us for very few minutes throughout a day because we fall short constantly of His glory but God loves us unconditionally.

God called for Adam and God never gave up on humanity. God gives us the chance to repent and confess. The Bible even tells us how God isn't slow in fulfilling His promises but God is patient because He doesn't want anyone to perish (2 Peter 3:9). God never shook His head and gave up on humans completely. Despite how broken, sinful and horrible we have been. He provided a way to restore the relationship from the garden that was broken. Jesus Christ came, lived the life you couldn't, didn't sin, He remained perfect so that in Him you'll be justified. When God sees you, He sees you as completely flawless, He sees Jesus in you. Jesus covers your shame, and sin and gives you freedom from sin.

Jesus doesn't come here to condemn you but tells you to go and sin no more (John 8:11) and calls you to repentance so that you can continue to be in relationship with Him. If you have fallen, if you have sinned and if you feel that you just keep making mistakes and keep falling short. Then, sis, I want to encourage you to say that God isn't here to judge you but here to help you. The Holy Spirit is here to convict, direct and help you become more like Jesus. He's preparing you as a bride for Christ that you may be without wrinkle (Ephesians 5:26-27).

The Bible says how the work God is doing in us (Philippians 1:6). The work God is doing in you is daily work. It's not an overnight change. The more you're in the presence of God, praying, reading and meditating on the word the more you become more like Christ and begin to change. It's consistency in His presence and consistency in desiring to become like Him that you will look back to who you were before and see a significant change.

My message for you is that like Samuel said, don't stop serving God. Don't stop reading the word and praising because you sinned and you did what you know you shouldn't have. Don't avoid going to God and hide from God. Don't try to deal with that sin issue by yourself but invite God, be honest with Him and pour your heart out. Express that you can't do it on your own. Express how weak you are by calling on His strength to help you. Express your heart before God.

Keep serving God, keep praying and avoid listening to the voice of condemnation telling you that you're faking as a Christian, that you're not as good as so or so or that you aren't worthy but rather listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit saying "My daughter you can't do it alone but I'll help. Don't go to those vain idols of sin. Don't go back to where I delivered you from and do not hide from me but my daughter, rely on my strength. Keep pursuing and seeking my presence. I will help you. I will strengthen you. I will be with you and together we will overcome these chains and set you free. Do not hide from me but pour out your heart to me. If you will choose to speak to me and not be silent. Choose to read my word and read it again without listening to the voice condemning you. If you will believe again that I'm here with you. I never left you and I'm working in you".

God is pleased to have you as His daughter despite your shortcoming and weaknesses.  God is pleased that you're saved (received Jesus) and serving Him. He is pleased to have you in the kingdom of heaven and be a vessel for His use. God is pleased to have you.

In Summary

1) Recognise you have sinned and fallen short
- Realise you sinned and made a mistake.
- Acknowledge you've sinned, confess repent.

2) Do not fear and run from God

20 Then Samuel said to the people, "Do not fear

- Do not listen to the condemnation of the enemy and let it cause you to feel shameful, guilty and afraid. Instead, realise that's the voice of the enemy trying to stop you from drawing closer to God because you feel as though God doesn't want to hear from you.

3) Continue loving, seeking and serving God

You have done all this wickedness, yet do not turn aside from following the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart. 21 Ando does not turn aside; for then you would go after empty things which cannot profit or deliver, for they are nothing.

So don't stop praying, growing in relationship with God and serving Him because you feel unworthy or shameful.

4) Know God is pleased to have you and still wants you back

22 For the Lord will not forsake His people, for His great name's sake, because it has pleased the Lord to make you His people

- God wants a relationship with you. God still wants you to pray, speak to Him etc. He doesn't want you to be separate from Him but continues to pursue you because He wants you to be with Him.

5) There is someone to Help you (Holy Spirit)

23 Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord in ceasing to pray for you; but I will teach you the good and the right way.

- Ask for God to help you instead of relying on yourself and trying to 'make yourself holy' without God. Seek Him and ask Him to continue to help you overcome sin.

6) Do not continue in sin

25 But if you still do wickedly, you shall be swept away, both you and your king

- Decide to stop sinning and to truly repent. Create disciplined that can help you not fall into temptation. Do not continue with that pattern of sin but ask God for the grace to forsake whatever is leading you to sin and help you live for His glory!

If you're struggling with guilt and condemnation, read Luke 15:11-24 and John 8:1-11.

-etty