chap.13

to Zuko's surprise, the beach wasn't really crowded. there was some teenagers playing volleyball, meanwhile some parents and kids were playing in the water, some trying to get tan.
they found a spot and planted their umbrella in the sand, they then put down their towels so they could sit. they sat away from each other even if they wanted to get closer, they couldn't. after a bit of chitchat, Zuko felt something touch his back. he turned around and noticed it was the volleyball.
"hey! pass it to us!" some guy yelled.
"can we play too?" Sokka asked.
they agreed, as they weren't complete teams, two more players would make the game more exciting.
Zuko had played before, and he was good. Sokka never played before, so he had to show him some things. he quickly understood and he wasn't that bad. the first round was close to a tie, but the other team managed to score the final point before round two, which Zuko's and Sokka's team won. after multiple rounds and ties or almost ties, they quit playing to go in the water, to Sokka's request. the water was cool at first, which made Zuko regret following the blue eyed boy who was getting adjusted to the temperature. after a few minutes of staying in the water and moving around, they finally felt warmer. laying on his back, Sokka was just floating around, Zuko looking at him. his eyes only on his muscular chest, like he was analyzing.
"like what you see?" Sokka said, smirking.
Zuko blushed and quickly looked away.

they then went back to the house to get changed to go to a festival. Sokka liked festivals, especially the food. Zuko didn't mind them, of course there's not a lot of things he minded so it wasn't a surprise. the festival was very colourful and there was a lot of people pretty much doing what you would do at a festival, buying food or decorations, or simply admiring the street performers. Sokka pulled Zuko's hand and headed to a food stand, more precisely, a meat stand. he bought some chicken and Zuko some fire flakes.  they then walked around to check some performances and stands. golden hour now passed, it was becoming darker and Zuko thought it would be time to go back to the house.
"but there's gonna be fireworks! we need to watch them!" Sokka begged, "pretty pleaaseee?" he insisted.
"ugh fine, but after that, we're going back to the house."
"fine!" Sokka smiled and almost kissed him on the cheek.
they crawled in the crowd, Sokka holding Zuko's wrist, dragging him to the front in order to get a clear view of everything. once he found a great spot, he let go of Zuko's wrist and contemplated the sky, waiting for something to show up. after a few minutes of nothing, he heard a small sound and then, a loud bang filled with a beautiful shade of green. it was then followed by other colours, Sokka didn't let his eyes go off it. Zuko found them pretty, the pink and the blue one were the ones he found the prettiest. he noticed Sokka amazed by the lights and took his hand, to which Sokka didn't flinch. he smiled, a soft blush on his face, before asking Sokka to go back. Sokka agreed, rolling his eyes and they walked headed to the beach house. they walked on the beach for a second, before Sokka stopped.
"what's wrong?" Zuko asked.
"wanna swim? we're alone, no one could catch us." he responded, removing everything but his underwear.
he stepped into the cold water, Zuko following him not long after.
"it's freezing!" Zuko let out in a cry.
"calm down firelord, it's gonna get warmer the more you move around."
and Sokka was right, only a few minutes later Zuko felt warmer. they played a bit in the water, the moon lighting the scene.
"look Zuko! i'm waterbending!" Sokka said splashing some water on Zuko.
"that's not what waterbending is!" Zuko said, trying to hide his smile.
"okay then show me what waterbending is mister." Sokka sassed.
"i'm not a waterbender Sokka."
"you're lame." Sokka said, rolling his eyes.
and Zuko took that personal, splashing a huge amount of water on Sokka's head.
"oh so you want war uh?" Sokka smirked.
"as if you were gonna be able to beat me." Zuko replied.
and the match was on, each throwing waves and splashes of water at each other. as Sokka was about to throw a massive wave, Zuko slipped and fell into the water, Sokka immediately coming at him to help him get back up. Zuko took this opportunity to shove him in the water with him, which lead to a bit of wrestling. they ended up being back on their feet, very close to each other. the moon still sparkling on the scene, their breath warming each other, Sokka leaned for a kiss to which Zuko responded by pressing his lips on Sokka's even harder. he cupped his jaw with both of his hands and Sokka was holding his waist. Sokka pulled away, smiling.
"maybe we should head back?"
Zuko nodded and they went back to the shore to pick up their clothes.
"Zuko look! we can see the fireworks!" Sokka pointed towards the sky where fireworks were still showing off their colours.
"they're still not done? it's been almost an hour." Zuko said.
"c'mon Zuzu! don't be so sad they look pretty nice!" Sokka teased a bit.
he held Zuko by the waist, giving him a kiss on the head. they walked back to the house and by then, the fireworks were over. exhausted by their long day, they went straight to bed. Zuko sleeping into Sokka's arm, he felt warm.