chap.17

Sokka was following Suki around. it had been quite a long time since she had came to Ba Sing Se yet she remembered every street, every corner where they had been during their past relationship.
"so umm what have you been up to recently?" Suki asked.
"not much, not much. same old boring routine." he said, looking around.
"yeah except that i'm not there to make it less boring." she flirted.
"yeah... i guess."
should i tell her about me and Zuko?
"actually me and Zuko started working at Iroh's tea shop."
"well that's cool... you and Zuko seemed to get closer while i was gone." she said, kind of detached.
"yeah... we sure did." he said, rubbing his neck.
"and what's with him and being so angry at me for going out with you? we're just hanging out!"
"i- i don't know." Sokka tried to ignore the way Suki was talking, shw sounded irritated.
"ugh. but anyways, now it's just us two." she smirked at Sokka who's cheeks became reddish and he quickly looked away, "you know what i said yesterday... i mean it Sokka." she stopped walking and looked at Sokka in his eyes, "i'm willing to try again." she insisted with her look.
why is it so hard to tell her no, i have a boyfriend, and as much as i appreciate you i don't want our relationship to come back.
"maybe we should head back? i'm getting cold." he spit out, dodging her intended kiss.
"but... we just got out! and it's the middle of summer for spirits sake! it's not even cold!"
"okay fine... sorry." he quickly apologized.
"no... i'm sorry i kind of snapped." she said, slapping her hand on her forehead.
"it's okay." he reassured.
"i'm messing this up am i?" she said, looking a Sokka.
"what do you mean?"
"this thing between us. it's been so different since i came back and i clearly don't know what happened while i was gone." she paused, waiting for Sokka to say something, however he didn't so she continued, "i just want to know if there's anything that happened that i'm not aware of."
"depends on what you're aware of." Sokka tried to joke, half smiling.
she let out a smile laugh and smile.
"not much to be honest."
"well um actually except for me and Zuko working together," he hesitated, "and Toph crushing rocks and metal... not much."
"well... then maybe we should head back." she said, looking behind her shoulder.
"or we could keep walking." Sokka said, looking at Suki.
"that would be great." she looked back at him, smiling.
they walked for at least two hours, the conversation flowing amazingly. they caught up on what happened while they were apart, Suki talking about the Kyoshi warriors and how much she missed them. and how Ty Lee was a great addition to their group, teaching them new methods for eventual fights. Sokka talked about him and Zuko working in Iroh's tea shop, and that was pretty much it. he didn't want to tell her about Zuko yet, he didn't really know why, but he didn't feel like it.

they came back home and Katara and Aang were cooking diner, Toph was still the living room.
"hey everyone!" Suki yelled.
"how was your..." Aang said, careful with his words.
"date?" Toph said.
Suki quickly turned red, looking at Sokka who had a puzzled look on his face.
"it wasn't a date, but thank you Toph." Sokka said, "it went well. where's Zuko?"
"in his room, being an angsty teenager or whatever." Toph said, pointing toward Zuko's room.
"oh uh okay..." Sokka said, he was going to check on him when he felt Suki's hand taking his and dragging him to the couch.
"anyways... we walked around town, it was cool." she said, trying to drive the attention somewhere else, she was still holding Sokka's hand.
"Suki... you're still holding my hand." he said.
"oh uh yeah sorry." she said, quickly letting it go.
"so um... where did you guys go?" Toph said, Aang was back in the kitchen to help Katara.
"uh...around?" Sokka said, looking away.
"we went where we've been before." Suki said.
"interesting." Toph said, uninterested.
"yea, truly is." Sokka said, visibly uncomfortable.
"but i'm glad we went, we got to talk and everything... it was like nothing had changed and-"
"BACK OFF!" a voice yelled.
"i-" Suki said before she was interrupted by Zuko yelling.
"I SAID BACK OFF!" he continued, everyone in the room was looking at him.
"b- but" she tried to reply, unsuccessful.
"THAT'S MY BOYFRIEND NOW BACK OFF!" he said, rage filled his eyes and tone.
"what?" she said, surprised.
"i'm leaving." Zuko said, going for the door and slamming it as he went outside.
Suki looked at Sokka who was still shocked by what had just happened.
"maybe i should go after him." he said, getting up and going after him.

he was running, looking for any trace of his lover. he was about to give up when he remembered the little park they had been last time Zuko exploded like that. he quickly ran to the place, and lucky for him Zuko was sitting on the bench, his head down in his palms. the scene was quiet, no one was outside and the lights in the houses around were closed, so they were alone. he went to sit beside the quiet firebender, not saying a single word. he examined him for what seemed like a minute or two, Zuko not moving an inch. Sokka bent down and kissed the top of Zuko's head. the boy quickly jumped into Sokka's arms, tears falling down on his pale, flushed cheeks.
"i'm- i'm so sorry Sokka." he begged.
Sokka didn't say anything, he simply hugged him back, and it felt like the first time that they had shared such an intimate hug, when they didn't even know their feelings for each other yet. he ran his hand in Zuko's hair, who were becoming longer and longer, it seemed like Zuko finally had stopped cutting them each three weeks, and they were at his shoulders. usually he would've put them in a bun, but with the heat of the moment and the fact that he had been in his room thinking about Sokka and Suki being together for hours, his hair were down. Sokka pulled away and cupped Zuko's jaw, looking into his golden eyes, he let out a faint smile.
"i'm not mad at you." he whispered, before delicately kissing him.
Zuko kissed back, their kiss was simple, graceful, yet passionate. Sokka was still cupping Zuko's jaw, his ear between his fingers, meanwhile Zuko's arm had fallen down to Sokka's hips. they pulled back, their foreheads against each other, and they let out a deep breath.
"what happened?" Sokka said.
"i just lost it. i- i couldn't bare seeing you with her. the way she talks to you, the way she moves when you're around and touches you as if you were hers." Zuko said, looking away.
Sokka grabbed Zuko's hand, and turned his head around with his right hand, cupping Zuko's burn.
"i'm yours." he said, looking at Zuko who was still crying.
he wiped away the firebender's tears with his thumb.
"i shouldn't have told Suki. i'm so sorry." he said.
"shhh... it's alright. she needed to know one day or another." Sokka reassured, still wiping off Zuko's tears.
Zuko was looking down at Sokka's hand who was still holding his. he bursted in cries again, he couldn't help it, it was like he finally felt the strength to let it all out. covering his face with his hands, he continued sobbing. Sokka took him in his arms again, Zuko melting down on his chest. he rubbed the golden eyed boy's back slowly, kissing the top of his head occasionally. the moon was out, and it was the only source of light who was illuminating the two boys sitting on the bench.