chap.18

disclaimer: this chapter contains light smut

after a while spent in comfortable silence at the park, they decided that it would be better to go back home, even though the last person they wanted to face was Suki. they walked hand in hand and when they opened the door of the house, everyone was sitting at the table. Suki was pale, her eyes looked red and a little puffy. Katara was sitting beside her, and they all had a cup of tea in front of them. they looked in Zuko and Sokka's direction, a bare look on their faces. Suki's blue eyes looked broken, and Sokka couldn't stand looking in them so he looked away. they went to sit at the table and Aang served them a cup of tea, which they barely touched.
"so i..." Zuko started, looking at Suki who was now looking down at her cup of cold down tea.
he couldn't get himself to talk, feeling the pressure from Aang, Katara's and Toph judgement. he tightened Sokka's hand in order to give him a signal.
"maybe me and Zuko could talk to Suki... without anyone else?" Sokka said.
"oh uh yeah right sorry, we'll go in our rooms." Katara blushed.
"i actually have somewhere to be, see ya!" Toph said, leaving the table and heading for the door.
"who are you meeting? is it those earthbenders you're teaching?" Katara asked.
"yeah yeah. okay bye!" and she slammed the door.
the room fell silent again, they we're waiting for Katara and Aang to leave the room.
"oh uh yeah right sorry! we're leaving." Katara finally realized.
she dragged Aang out of the room and closed the door of her room.
silent again, the atmosphere felt heavy on Zuko and Sokka's shoulders. both feeling the need to apologize, yet they didn't know where to start. their hands were still holding one another under the table, and Zuko kept nervously squeezing Sokka's.
"we're sorry." Sokka finally let out, "i'm sorry for not telling you about me and Zuko. we just-"
"Sokka, it's alright." Suki interrupted, "you don't need to be sorry for that. i'm happy for you and Zuko i truly am believe me. i- i didn't see it coming but... i'm glad you guys are happy." she smiled at them, tears filling up her eyes, "but... i don't understand why you kept it away from me. even after you knew i liked you... you made me believe that we weren't impossible. i really thought you were willing to try us again."
Sokka felt silent, he didn't know what else to say. the guilt was slowly pressing against his chest.
"you're right, i shouldn't have. it was irresponsible from me to not tell you how i felt about you... even if it would've hurt you." he said.
Suki looked at him, her cheeks were damp, but she didn't look mad.
"i appreciate that." she said under her breath.
"and i'm sorry for screaming at you earlier. i shouldn't have let my... anger, take control of me."
"it's okay Zuko. i forgive you, and Sokka too." she said, brightening her smile a little.
"that easily?" Zuko said, surprised.
"before anything, you guys are my friends and even if me and you, Zuko, haven't always been the best of friends, i can see why it's scary to tell someone about... your relationship."
"yeah..." Sokka said before yet another moment of silence was installed.
Suki didn't really know what else there was to say, or what much she could ask.
"so... when did you guys... started... dating?" Suki said, trying to make the conversation a lot less awkward than it already was. however it was very clear that none of them were comfortable, the energy was tense.
"about... three months ago i think." Zuko said. the thing was, he knew exactly how long it had been, he liked keeping track of things like this. but he preferred not to mention it because he judged it unnecessary to the discussion.
"so right after i left...?" she asked.
"no. a little later. like a few weeks after." Sokka said, like ashamed.
"oh okay..." Suki said, looking back at her iced cold tea.
and then again, the room was silent for what seemed like hours. no one knew what to say, what to add, or just what to really think.
"so... how did it happen?" Suki asked.
"Zuko... we just kissed." Sokka said, timid.
"did you know?" she questioned.
"know that we were gonna kiss? well it took me by surprise bu-" Suki cut Sokka off.
"no, did you guys always knew that you liked boys."
"i... kind of realized after Mai." Zuko said, "i just wasn't ready to accept it." he passed his hand through his hair.
Suki looked at Sokka who looked conflicted.
he frowned, "i don't know."
"it's oka-" Suki was about to say, before Sokka continued.
"i guess... i just always knew but there wasn't that many boys in our adventure that were worth catching my eyes... and i was with you anyways," he said looking at Suki, "so of course i wasn't gonna go see somewhere else. but... when you left i guess it made me think, about a lot of things actually. and i guess it was just always in me." he said, satisfied.
he squeezed Zuko's hand under the table as still holding after all this time.
"wow. i- i see." Suki said, turning reddish.
"are you mad?" Sokka said, concerned. the last thing he wanted was Suki mad at him for what he just said.
"of course not! i know you loved me Sokka, and i loved you two. i'm happy you're saying this also... it means a lot. and i wish the best to you and Zuko, really." she said, a soft but genuine smile traced on her lips.
she left the table, wishing them a good night, and later on Sokka and Zuko went to Zuko's bedroom.

they laid down in the bed, close to each other. Zuko held Sokka in his arms while playing in his hair, meanwhile Sokka was unusually silent.
"are you okay?" Zuko asked.
"it's just... weird." he said.
"what is?" Zuko stopped playing in Sokka's hair for a minute.
"what Suki asked. i- i never asked myself the question, it's like i always knew, yet... i just didn't realize it until i met you."
"when you met me? but i attacked your village when you first met me." Zuko said, "i don't think that's the thing that makes you fall heads over heals for someone."
"no, when i actually met you Zuko, the real you. the one that's kind and cares for others." Sokka said looking up to Zuko who was now trying to hide his smile, "you're so adorable when you smile like that." he whispered.
he got to Zuko's level and dangerously approached Zuko's lips with his. before pressing his mouth onto the firebender's, he looked at him, inspecting his face.
"when are you going to do something?" Zuko said quietly.
"shhh... i'm looking at how beautiful you are." Sokka said, both of their tones were low and calming.
"you're beautiful too you know." Zuko replied, smiling, before finally crashing his lips onto the water tribe boy's.
their kiss was intense, both of them adding more and more. their hands were going places, from cupping Zuko's jaw to down his clothed chest.

the next morning, Sokka woke up after Zuko, like most days anyways. noticing that his boyfriend was looking at him, a silly smile drawn on his face, he felt a wave or happiness and held Zuko a little tighter.
"woah... what's up with that?" Zuko said, hugging back Sokka.
"i just love you so much." Sokka blushed.
"me too Sokka." Zuko said back, laying a small kiss behind Sokka's ear.
"do you really wanna do this now?" he said, turning more red than he already was.
"that was not my intention." Zuko smirked, "anyways i'm hungry we should go eat." he said, smelling the aroma of a great breakfast.
"i agree on that" Sokka said.
they both got dressed, well they put pants and for Zuko a shirt, and they held hands to the dinging room where everyone else was. sitting around the table, where Katara has just put down a plate of fresh hot pancakes, with jerky, a platypusbear scrambled egg, some fruits and smoothies.
"good morning- WOAH Katara you really outdid yourself with this one!" Sokka said, still holding Zuko's hand.
"thanks! but Suki also helped me." she said, looking at Suki and giving her a smile, which she of course, returned back.
"well great job girls!" Sokka said giving a thumbs up.
they both went to sit, on the same side of the table, and enjoyed their meal with their friends. they didn't need to hide, pretend or anything like that for once, and it felt great.