Eight

We have quietly been searching for another way out but it's so tight with security and safety that there are no windows or cracks anywhere. How did they manage that? I wonder as we kept searching for another way out. They feel safe enough inside here that everybody is asleep in here. This helps us out at least, but I couldn't help but feel like someone is watching us. Maybe it's because we are surrounded by humans who despise us, well all but Alex. Well, Savanna and Dr. Mitsbee don't either but they aren't here at the moment. Alex is and I still feel a bit guilty that he's coming with us. He just got here where it's safe and now he's going back outside where it's completely unsafe for a human.

I glance down at Alex as he continues to search for a way out. I can almost sense his frustration as we've been searching for what seems like hours with no success. They really made it completely unable for anybody to get in or get out unless you use the front door. I can bet Dr. Mitsbee had a part with the door idea. I thought sighing. We look everywhere in the main room, which was hard considered there were a lot of people sleeping on cots or in sleeping bags. There are still rooms we haven't checked but I'm honestly afraid to check in them, because what if someone is still awake for some reason. I'm ready to just give up and go back to that room I've been staying in when Alice tugs on my sleeve. I glance over at her seeing her point at something which made me look to see what she's pointing at. My eyes widen when I see Savanna peeking at us from her room. Aw shit! I thought as I took a step back. Savanna waves us over which I hesitate to follow but Alex follows and soon Alice does too. I hesitate again but follow again as at least it wasn't Hank who caught us. He would've just shot us on the spot and killed Alice and me.

When we are in her room she instantly asks in a whisper, "What are you guys doing?"

"Escaping." Alex says simply in a whisper.

"Escaping? Why?" Savanna asks in shock.

"If you haven't noticed, nobody likes Alice and Loki. They don't even care that they are different, they  only see them as zombies." Alex explains to her.

"I-I had a feeling but I was hoping I could change their minds." Savanna says glancing over to a sleeping Mandy.

I waved my arms to get their attention before pointing over to Mandy who's sleeping. Savanna gives me a small smile as she seems to understand what I'm indicating. I'm glad because if I try to take my board out quickly I might drop it and wake her up with my clumsiness.

"Don't worry about Mandy, she's a deep sleeper. You would have to be screaming or being extremely loud to wake her up." Savanna explains to us.

"Do you know how we can get out of here without using the front door?" Alex asks bringing the conversation back.

Savanna sighs sadly but nods as she tells us to follow her. We did as told and follow her out of her room and back into the main room. Then she leads us back into the room we started in which made us all confused. Wait? Did she just play us? I thought as I look around the room I became familiar with. Alex growls in annoyance before he grabs onto Savanna's shoulder turning her towards him.

"Is this some stupid game you're trying to play here? We want to escape not come back here!" Alex nearly yells.

"I am helping you escape. There's a secret room in here that not a lot of people know about. Hank wanted to have one in case of zombies somehow break into here." Savanna explains to us.

We watch her as she walks over to the table that I always refused to go near before she peeks underneath it and pushing something. Then suddenly the bookshelf that's behind the table moves sideways, and it made a bit of noise but not as much as the big metal door would've. Alex's eyes widen as he was amazed as he runs over to the now opened secret entrance before he turns towards Savanna saying thanks. I hesitate again as I'm afraid of what would happen if they found out we escape, but then again it's a big world out there. What's the chance we will ever see each other again? I follow after them but Savanna stops us making us all turn towards her, and by the look, she has on her face I have a bad feeling.