CHAPTER 35

ESETHU

I buzz her in and wait for her by the kitchen door. I watch her when she pulls up, then she steps out of the car looking beautiful. What am I saying? Londiwe always loved fashion, she's always been the one with style amongst the three of us, and Nondumiso was rallying after her, I was the odd one out honestly hence I never liked going out, well, solely because I was cramping their style and couldn't wear revealing clothes. She was closer to Nondumiso than me, and I was best of friends with my books.

“Hi.” She greets sounding bored.

“Hi, and welcome.” I try hugging her, but she ducks. O-kay, that's new. I let her in.

Her: “Nice house,” she moves her eyes around.

Me: “Thanks. You may sit.”

Her: “I'd rather stand I'm not here to stay.”

Me: “So, what brings you here?”

Her: “Your mother. Your mother sent me. She sent me to come here in Billy's house to plead with you to give her a chance to talk to you.”

Me: “No.”

Her: “Askies?”

Me: “You heard me very well, a no will do. Go and tell her that.”

Her: “But Sethu, that woman gave birth to you. She loved you, clothed, and fed you is this how you thank her? With a plate full of shit?” I chuckle, Londiwe must've smoked something before coming here because she's spewing bullshit.

Me: “I know, and I returned the same courtesy. I've never disobeyed her, disrespected, chat back, insulted her, and going out through windows at night to do a quickie with men who never loved me, but only used me because of my father's status. Heck, I even made sure that I study hard just to impress her. And when I got married to Andile I made sure that she got everything she wanted! I'm the one who built her that guesthouse in Mountain View, and I'm the one who bought her a car, now don't come here and tell me that I'm thanking her with a plate full of shit! I've done so much for that woman. Ungazoza ngokunya kwakho la. And you? What did you do for her? What did you do to thank her for loving, clothing, and feeding you?” She's indignant, her face is turning red and her breathing is abnormal. “What?” I glance at her straight in the eyes.

Her: “That's beside the point,” taking a deep breath. “Just hear what she wants to say, that's all I'm asking from you.”

Me: “No, and I will say it 1000 times if it needs to.”

Her: “So, you are choosing a dick over your family?”

Me: “Yes, I'm choosing dick over family. Just like ‘bros over hoes.’ And besides the last time I checked I had no family, those fuckers disowned me in broad daylight. Cancelled me in all their insurances, they meant business.”

Her: “Do you even know the man who fathered your baby? Do you know his line of business? What he does and how he acquired everything he owns? How he brought this house?” A smile slithers out of my lips. “He's going to throw you like tasteless bubblegum once done with you. That man never does love, and fuck, he'll never fall for someone like you. Ask me, I know. I've known him for close to 11 years now, I've witnessed how he used his girls. Do you know that he kills them once he has had enough of them?”

Me: “I do know who he is, I've been through a lot of fucked up bullshit with him that you yourself couldn't have withstood if you were given the chance. And yes, I know his line of business, and yes I know how he brought this house. Even if he tosses me once done with me, I will still not give a fuck, but I will definitely come back for his dick. And as for love? Hun, I'm not looking for love too. As for falling? Sweetheart, hahaha no one will catch that giant of a man. Let me just let you be. Anyway, what are you really here for?”