Chapter 17:- I am not a brute!

Sultan's POV

"Ahh what is this!" Exclaimed Serena and I was happy with her reaction. She was hell-bent in proving me as a brute and I wanted to prove to her that I am a generous ruler. Unlike my father.

I took her to the prison premises and showed her how we educate the prisoners by teaching them the embroidery work and tailoring work.

"Wow I didn't know you teach your prisoners. I thought that you were murderers." She was still shocked.

"Actually, the period of the stay in prison is determined by the quantum of felony committed by the criminal. And as long as they stays here, we educate them into this art so that they can earn when they are free. In fact, our prison boosts the finest of the artworks. We export them to the neighbouring empires and send the profits to their families so that they don't have to earn whilst their family member is in prison." I explained to her. However I could still see the frown on her face. Apparently she wasn't still convinced about it.

"I know you want to oppose me. Speak out!" I spoke with more imposing air than necessary.

"Actually my neighbour is a pregnant lady. Her name is Catherine." She spoke up. Apparently she had no effect with my strict tone. Anyways, I remembered how a women in her pregnancy was budding farewell to Serena when she accompanied us to the palace.

"Yes, I can vaguely remember her." I muttered.

"Yes so her husband was accused of pickpocketing. And was sent to the palace prison. I am not saying that he was innocent. I don't know. But Catherine always complains about having to earn her livelihood while in her pregnancy. Are you sure you send all the proceeds to the family members of the prisoners?" She asked me.

"I am 100% certain. My father was the brute. I am not. I myself designed this policy in order to help our prisoners." I was beyond shocked. Where did the proceeds go?

"Don't worry. I will personally investigate this matter." I told her.

She just smiled and nodded. If she was right, then I am sure that there is some problem with the administration of this prison.

I ordered my trustworthy minister Ostad Farukh to investigate this matter without anyone knowing it. Farukh was my favourite advisor. He was kind of a mentor figure for me and my younger brother, Ali. He stood by us during the political turmoil after my father passed away.

"Brother is it true that a huge amount of money is being embezzled from our prison revenues?" Asked Ali as he stormed into my chambers, later that evening. He and Ostad Farukh were close. I knew that Ostad Farukh would report Ali about the situation.

"Yes, I suspect. Though I have no idea about the Culprit's identity." I told him.

"I have a faint idea about his identity." He claimed.

Actually I have been very close to my brother before assuming the throne. The reason of our mutual distancing was due to my inclination towards our Vazir. I had a faith in our Vazir. However Ali hated him and wanted me to fire him from the court. That lead to a huge emotional distance between  us. However deep in our hearts, we knew that we loved each other.

"I know you are going to accuse our Vazir. But I don't think he is behind the thing." I told him. It was the high time he stopped doubting the Vazir.

"Brother, it's time when you stop relying on that man. He is a corrupt person. I am sure that he was behind the death of our father!" He spoke up.

"How dare you accuse our Vazir! He was the closest aid of father and he is my rock solid support!" I realised that I shouted on my brother whereas I could have talked with him calmly.

Ali stomped his feet and advanced towards the exit of my chambers. He narrowly escaped getting crashed with Serena. What was she doing here?

"Greetings madam, if I am not wrong, you are Lady Serena right?" Asked Ali.

"Yes sir, I am Serena." She spoke up with the usual air of confidence she always had around herself.

"I have heard about you. You seem to be a person of great sensibility right?" He asked her loud enough for me to hear it.

"I.. I think so." She said, with apparent awkwardness.

"You seem to be intelligent creature. I have heard how you emptied the entire harem. And now you are working for the betterment of the prisoners. Now can you instil some sense into my brother? He has gone blind with the trust on someone who is downright corrupt and malicious." He spoke up.

"Pardon me sir, I do not know you." She looked doubtful.

"I am Ali, Sultan's brother. His blood brother. I am truly glad to meet you!" He bowed down to her.

"I wish I could reflect the same sentiment but it's our first meeting so I am not certain." She spoke up.

"She never calls anyone "Your Majesty" does she?" He asked me amused.

"Never. She even slapped our Vazir." I grinned.

"I wish I was there when she did that." He laughed and all his anger evaporated. I smiled and waved him goodbye.

I looked at Serena who watched the entire dialogue between us with a silence.

"Yes come in, how can I help you?" I chuckled as she entered into my chambers before I could permit her to come in.

I wonder how she manages to get inside my chambers. Or any other place of the people palace. Like a witch. No no no, how can such a lovely person like her be a witch? Though she looks very ordinary, she has extraordinary courage and guts to call me wrong. Her personality attracts me towards her. I wish my kingdom gets a strong Sultana like her. But she is the only person on this land who doesn't want to marry me. I don't understand why freedom is so important to her. I mean, look at me. I have lived all my life under the protocols that a Prince is required to follow. Maybe one day I will be able to understand her fully.