Chapter 29: Rehzada

Serena's POV

"God bless this temporary Queen! She made freed us from the clutches of slavery and gave us a new life" beamed Arezoo, the wife of the head servant Saheer.

Sultan turned around and gave me a sweet smile and we commenced our chat with Saheer. As instructed, we went to Saheer who started giving us instructions on farming. His wife joined us. She was a friendly and talkative soul. She informed us that she and her husband, both were slaves of Rahezada. However due to the recent law, they both were granted freedom. Instead of returning to their native lands (because they lacked funds to travel to their nation) they decided to stay there, earn their livelihood and save some money to go back. Saheer and Arezoo weren't the only couple out there! There were around 10 couples who were employed to work in the fields. A few of them were earlier slaves of Rehzada. 

Now that they earned a meagre income, they were still satisfied with the freedom that they had received. Both of them rented a small room outside the village.

"You both too were the slaves? Where are you both from?" She asked us.

We repeated the story which we had told to Rehzada. Sultan's task was to plough the fields using the bulls while I was required to take care of the huge cattle and then help with farming when I get time.

Initially the things were easy. But as soon as the sun rose, we started feeling hot. Luckily I had experience of taking care of cattle. But I was worried about Sultan. I mean it was different when he used to rule within the four walls of the palace and now it was completely different.

"Don't worry dear. I have fought more than a half century of wars in my life. We have lived under the harshest conditions. Now at least we have a roof over our head, some food to eat and water to drink. We could sleep in peace once we reach home!" He gave me an endearing smile as he went back to ploughing fields. His ripped muscles and his toned body showed through Yelek. Now I know why was I attracted to him since the morning.

Half of the day went well. However we weren't treated well. There was a limited supply of water for the labourers. We had to struggle to ensure that everyone gets equal share of water. We weren't allowed to fetch the water from the well. The wage that we received per day was too low. I wondered how the labourers filled their stomachs. Besides what if one person of the family was sick?

The women having infants and toddlers were allowed to bring their children in the fields but Rehzada didn't treat children with respect. He would shout at them and use foul language. There was no proper place to rest. Ofcourse, the trees having sheds were available but they were too far from the fields. We had to walk in order to get a few minutes of rest.

The bulls were sick so Sultan had to plough the field using his sheer strength. The biggest problem was that the peasants were made to do the household chores which were not a part of their duties. It was tiring and insulting.

Rehzada had his slaves as his workers. So he found it difficult to accept their freedom and still treated them like slaves. However I knew one thing for sure. If he would insult Sultan, he will be rewarded with a prison. If he would dare to insult me, he would be awarded with a death sentence. I wouldn't take A wrong advantage of Sultan's feelings for me (he is too bad hiding it) but it sure makes me feel safe.

But as you know, risk is my middle name! Let's set this Rehzada straight!