Chapter 9 (Year 3)

It was the onset of monsoon, nights witnessed sparks developing in cloud's womb, while days observed the sun getting dappled by those endless waves of clouds. It seemed burdened with promises and expectations.

Abjini regarded the leaden sky, thinking how it held the potential of a downpour as well as a cloudburst.

'Wasn't my life like this? Flowing as everyone expects until one day, the truth I hold will make its appearance like a cloudburst, sudden and unwanted,' she sighed.

Her thoughts got jumbled as a pair of hands encircled her waist, engulfing her in an embrace from behind.

"Arya," she smiled forgetting her sadness for a moment.

°

°

°

Panchali was sitting by a lake of sparkling waters, embellished with fragrant lotuses. Gentle waves of air blew over her face, swinging her raven locks.

She threw little shells and marbles on the pond and observed the ripples it generated

"You've told me to wait, but for how long Rajkumar Arjun?" she complained staring at the broken reflection in the water.

"These stars! They just keep appearing back. This isn't fair! I'm not a kid to be pacified by any jewel or material possession. All I want is to be with you. Why don't you understand that?"

She kept ranting and threw another marble in the water but this time when the ripples melted see saw something else.

Under the deflected light of dusk, she saw the waves creating the reflection of a familiar face.

That one face she would do anything to see.

"Rajkumar Arjun," she gasped.

His gaze was soft yet intense, his smile warm like always. Bending closer she dipped her fingers in the water. But, alas, her fingers didn't meet his face.

His reflection disappeared just like it came, making her gloomier than before.

"Now even my eyes are betraying me."

Panchali pulled out the third star.
However, this time it vaporized into a silvery mass and scattered in the faint beams of the setting sun.

No new weight appeared on her hair.
The third star was gone for real.

"Two more remains," she spoke to her reflection.

Before she could ponder more, drops of rain began descending from the dark clouds.

Droplets of moisture started wetting her hair and clothes but she didn't care. Only his mellow voice rang in her ears, 'When you'll be left with two, then shall you know the truth.'