Chapter 21: Keep An Eye Out For Selener

Some tea on Johnny and Rosalía's past is revealed in this chapter 🐸🍵

-

-

Just as she had hoped, Selena is distracted from her breakup as she engages in conversation with her friends and family. Loud music plays while everyone talks just as loudly. All of a sudden, four people walk into the backyard and Rosalía is the first to notice. "Hey!" she calls as she and Daniel get up to go greet Adriana and her daughter, Rosaline, Lucille, and Louie. "Hey, sis," Rosalía addresses Adriana before hugging her niece. She moves onto Lucille, giving her a sweet smile. "Hi, suegrita! [mother-in-law]," she chirps as she hugs her. "How's my favorite daughter-in-law?" Lucille chuckles. I'm your only daughter-in-law, Rosalía thinks. They pull away and she responds, "good, you?"

"Good, sweetheart, thank you."

The kids come to greet her and she joyously hugs and compliments them all, calling all the girls "pretty" and the boys "handsome." She spots Daniel and calls out, "ah, there are those baby browns! Get over here." Daniel goes in for a hug and voices, "hey, ma" before kissing her cheek. Now that everyone's here, Daniel, Louie, and Oscar start grilling the hotdogs and patties while everyone resumes the conversation. Daniel suddenly brings up Johnny, telling everyone about Cobra Kai's return. "You know, it's bad enough that this monster is teaching kids. Now he's somehow convinced the All Valley Board to let Cobra Kai back in the tournament," he rants.

"I can't believe that cabrón is back," Angel remarks, shaking his head. "That's horrible, they can't let them back! Oh, they're nothing but a bunch of bullies," Lucille reacts. This captures Selena's interest. "They can't all be bullies, right?" she questions. The homies scoff while Lucille gives her a look. "Trust me, sweetheart, you don't know the half of it. Those Cobra jerks made my little boy's life miserable," she depicts. "They wouldn't leave your mom and dad alone," Marissa jumps in. "Tell them how they pushed you down that hill," Lucille tells Daniel. Oh, that's why it sounded so familiar, Selena thinks. She and her siblings have heard a bit about their parents' past with Cobra Kai but Selena forgot the name.

"Well, they've already heard it, ma," Daniel dismisses before turning back to the grill. Rosalía quietly sighs. She doesn't think Johnny is a monster. "I mean, who knows? Maybe things will be different this time," she suggests, shrugging. "Ha! Yeah, right. Guys like Johnny Lawrence never change," Oscar cuts in. Rosalía purses her lips. "You never know. He might surprise us," she claims. Selena and her friends exchange a glance, thinking about Miguel, Aisha, and Hawk. Does being in Cobra Kai automatically make them bullies? Daniel comes over to the table and sets down a plate of elotes asados [grilled corn] before pecking his wife's forehead and taking his seat beside her.

"You know," Louie pipes up as he uses the chair next to Daniel to pop his beer open before sitting down. "That son of a bitch has a lot of nerve entering the tournament. Especially after everything he's done to you. And you fixed his car for free. I don't know, man. I say we get the car back. You know, I could find out where he lives," he continues. Rosalía scoffs. "What, so you're not Louie anymore, you're Luis, the cholo?" she pokes fun. Everyone snickers at this, her homies cackling the loudest. Lucille doesn't laugh since she doesn't really understand what that means. Selena leans over to her friends and quietly comments, "he thought he was Spooky." They all laugh at the On My Block reference.

Selena's smile falters for a second when she remembers how much Caesar from the show looks like Ethan. She pushes the thought away, focusing on the current conversation. ", what if Cobra Kai has changed? Some kids from school are in it, that doesn't automatically make them bad, right?" she questions her dad. "Please, Cobra Kai will never change. Promise me you stay away from the kids who are associated with it, alright?" Daniel responds before reaching over to grab some food. Selena doesn't respond. She glances at Rosalía, who looks back at her and shrugs. She knows her mom doesn't agree with her dad.