Chapter 42: Heat of the Moment

Pure summer 2019 vibes ✨^^ Ugh, this was the song of the summer, I miss this era. This song still takes me to another dimension 😩

-

-

Robby is hitting the punching bag while Selena and Sam sit on the nearby deck doing a partner straddle stretch. They face each other with their legs spread apart and feet touching as they grab onto each other's hands. Selena uses this stretching exercise with her friends for dance and insisted on doing it with her cousin. She leans back, pulling Sam forward, who lowers her upper body toward the ground. Robby takes a break from punching the bag and speaks up, "maybe we should take a video of us sparring and post it on Instagram." Sam keeps her head down as she replies, "everybody already saw us at Valley Fest. No one cared."

She slowly straightens up, pulling Selena toward her. Selena's body now bends forward, feeling her muscles stretching. "I cared," she calls out, making her cousin smile. "You know what the problem is? Miyagi-Do is all about defense," Robby pipes up again. "Defense wins championships," Sam states as she pulls Selena's arms. 

"Yeah but people show up for the offense. That's why Cobra Kai is more popular. Alright? We need to show them we can fight too," the boy points out. The girls let go of each other and pull their legs in, individually doing a butterfly stretch. "I hate to admit it but you're right... but what are we supposed to do? Go to the mall and pick a fight? Record us defending ourselves?" Selena addresses Robby.

He shrugs. "It's not the worst idea," he opines. Sam lightly scoffs as she brings her knee up and rests her arm on it. "It's a terrible idea," she counters. She suddenly laughs as a thought pops into her head. "Or maybe we could record you fighting Jocelyn," she jokes, playfully slapping her cousin's arm. Selena scoffs and rolls her eyes. "Please. That video would last one second, she'd be on the floor so fast," she responds, making the others laugh. Even though she's moved on from Ethan, Jocelyn still loves to rub her relationship with him in her face. Selena thinks it's quite pathetic, especially since Ethan still tries to talk to her sometimes.

She always ignores them both but they're like cockroaches, they don't stop coming back. Ethan doesn't even cross her mind anymore so she doesn't want him crawling back now. The only boy who occupies her thoughts now, besides celebrities, is Miguel. Especially after what happened... or more like what didn't happen at his apartment. Selena stares off into space as she thinks about what occurred after Valley Fest. She was at home brushing her wet hair after having gotten out of the shower when Miguel called her on FaceTime:

Selena picks up her vibrating phone, seeing Miguel's name on the screen. She answers the call, the boy's face lighting up her screen. She's nervous to talk to him because of Valley Fest and what almost happened at his apartment. She's just thankful they're talking on FaceTime and not in person. "Hey," she speaks up, not knowing what else to say. "Hey," Miguel responds, also feeling awkward. His facial expression gives it away. "Um, so Valley Fest... I didn't know you guys were doing a demo too," Selena mentions. Miguel slowly nods his head. "Yeah, Sensei decided to do it at the last minute... You never mentioned Miyagi-Do doing one either," he replies.

"Oh, my dad planned it a few hours before the fair started. I found out about it when I got there... I wasn't in it because of my dance show so..." Selena explains, tilting her head. The boy takes note of her tone and facial expression, looking for signs of anger. "You're not mad at us for ruining your dad's demo?" he slowly questions. "Um..." the girl utters, looking up in thought. "No, not really. Annoyed? Maybe, but not really at you, mostly at your sensei. My mom said he and my dad were always at each other's throats and now I see what she's talking about," she sighs. Miguel nods, relieved she's not mad at him. However, he doesn't like the thought of her being upset with Johnny.