epilogue

Luca
~

"Shit."

I say as I stub my toe against the end table. I've hit my alarm five times this morning without realizing that today is the end of the semester final.

If my grandma was here, she would flip.

I quickly grab my book sack and toss it over my shoulder. As I step out into the hallway, I close the door and lock it behind me. The dorm hall is pretty quiet this morning which means everyone is in their assigned classroom... except me.

My phone vibrates once more in my back pocket making me take it out to see Cassie's name across the screen.

Four voicemails and six text messages.

Good luck today, love u
Are you okay?
Luca you better not be sleeping

Those were just half of them.

I don't have time to respond but thinking about how annoyed she must be makes me take a deep breath.

Ugh.

Yes, I'm ok. Overslept. Love u too.

I quickly turn my phone off so I'm able to speed walk to my classroom... that I'm supposed to be in. Ten minutes later I am standing up from my finished test and hand it in to a very aggravated professor. I apologized about twelve times once I walked into the room, but he brushed it off and pointed to my empty desk.

Insinuating that I better sit or I'm dead.

"Hey Cassie." I say into the phone once I fall back onto my bed.

"You hit snooze that many times?" she shouts.

"Well, hello to you too."

She takes a deep breath before speaking again. "Who are you and what have you done with my boyfriend?"

I chuckle. "Still me, babe."

"You're never late to anything."

"That's not true."

"Mmhmm."

We get quiet before one of us speaks again.
"I miss you." I tell her with a smile on my face as if she could see me.

"I miss you too, Luca." I'm pretty sure she is smiling back.

"How's your mom?"

She's been in the psychiatric hospital for about a year now.

"She's doing great, honestly."

"That's good to hear."

"Would you like to go see her?" she asks as I hear her roommate shout in the back.

"What's Hannah complaining about now?" I laugh.

"Boyfriend problems."

"It's a good thing you don't have to deal with that."

She laughs, almost choking on her drink. "No, because you are the best."

"You two make me sick," she yells in the background before slamming the door behind her.

"Someone's grumpy."

Hannah has always been bad with relationships. One time she told Cassie she was seeing this wonderful guy, but the only problem was his wife.

"So, do you want to go?"

"I'd love to."

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵