twenty two

Cassie
~

This morning after the second bell rang, I saw Marcus grabbing a few things out of his locker. He was by himself for once, so I made my move. He flinched when he closed his locker and saw me with arms crossed against my chest.

"What the—"

"What is wrong with you?"

"He deserved it, Cassie."

Marcus stepped away from the lockers and started walking through the hall. I ran up beside him. "Maybe you deserved it."

He stopped in his stance before looking at me.
"For calling me a dick like my father?"

I shrug. "It's not the first time you've heard it."

His eyes rolled. "What do you want from me?"

"To apologize."

"Surely I heard you wrong."

"You heard me correctly."

I basically begged him, but it worked. I was tired of the drama, and he agreed. I just wanted everyone to be friends... if not friends then at least civil. Luca eyed us awkwardly in the cafeteria. He was probably thinking we were getting back together. Being with Marcus again makes me sick to my stomach.

After school was over, Sydney walked with me to the gym for cheer practice. Reagan and Sara eyed me viciously when we stepped inside. I could feel their stares stabbing me with a knife.

"Don't worry about them," Sydney mentions once we sat down and started stretching.
I've been tense lately. My flips have been so sloppy and not as sharp as they should be. Coach Breanna has been on my ass the past two weeks. I've just been in my head.

About everything.

"I could care less about them right now."

Reagan looks the other way, continuing to gossip to Sara and another girl on the team, Lainey. I hear Marcus' name fall off one of their tongues.

Sydney moves her body into a split. "So, what's going on with you and Luca?"

I follow suit and stretch into a split also. "We're just friends, why?"

A smile tugs on her lips. A mischievous smile. "No reason."

I'm not letting her off that easily. "Oh yeah? What about Anderson?"

She looks up from the concrete floor. "What about him?"

"Come on, Syd."

She sits on her butt to touch her toes. "We're just friends."

"You can't copy my answer."

"I can't help it that we have the same answer. He really is my friend."

I let out a small laugh as I touched my toes too. "If you say so."

Couch Breanna steps inside the gym making us all look her way. She's wearing her normal attire. Dark maroon shorts with a spirit shirt. Her warm brown hair is pulled up in a clip. For being fifty she still looks good.

"Hey girls," she welcomes before sitting down on the bottom bleachers. "How is everyone?"
We all chant good in unison before she speaks again. "There is something I want to talk about real quick."

Sydney glances at me and I shrug. The look on Coach's face worries me.

"I do not accept bullying and I won't tolerate it. You know how I feel about it. I don't like my girls to fight, and I especially don't do well with drama," As she speaks, I see Reagan look my way. "If you have something to say then let's hear it now."

I swallow hard as we all look around the room. Everyone freezes at her words. Some try to open their mouths, but nerves get the best of them. When my eyes meet Reagan's, I feel my cheeks turn red. I can feel the back of my neck sweating from the anger she gives me.

"Why did you call me a whore?"

Coach doesn't say anything. Sydney doesn't say anything. Sara and their little posse remain quiet. Except for Reagan. She knew my question was directed toward her.

"Because you are."

"Reagan!" Coach scolds.

"How in the hell am I a whore?" I stand up on my feet ready to throw myself at her. "Please humor me for once in your pathetic useless life!"

"Cassie!" she scolds again.

I hear Sydney snicker before covering her mouth. She stands up to march at me. "A week after you and Marcus break up you start dating Richards, I mean do you even know how to be alone?"

"Of course, this is about Marcus," I laugh sarcastically. "You want him? Do you want my blessing? Have him. Please don't give him back."

I turn my heel and quickly grab my duffle bag filled with my school uniform by the bleachers. Coach calls my name, but I ignore her. All I can hear is my heart rate beating in both ears. I just want to be alone.

"Do you even know how to be alone?"

No, because I never get a break.

• • •

Don't forget to vote and comment. ❤️