thirty two

Luca
~

I woke up to the fresh smell of bacon and coffee. It's been a long time since I've actually smelled espresso, much less in my house. My legs stretch through the warm plush covers that are rambled between my feet and I instantly yawn like I've gotten at least eight hours' worth of sleep. Yep, definitely eight hours as I'm seeing nine a.m. in bold letters on my alarm clock.

I haven't slept in or slept for eight solid hours since my parents were alive.

I start to gag once I notice the trash can sitting on the floor. My hand rubs the back of my neck while I try to comfort myself from feeling like absolute death.

This is why I don't drink.

Marcus can call me a pussy all he wants, and when it comes to drinking—well, I guess I am a pussy. Still, at least I'm not a dick.

After cleaning up my disgusting appearance and brushing away the vomit on my tongue, I make my way through the hall to follow the amazing smell.

Once I step foot in the kitchen, I spot Cassie flipping the bacon while my grandma fixes herself a cup of coffee.

"It's been years since I've had caffeine," she takes a small sip from her cup. "I don't know why it took me this long to try coffee."

"You've never tried it before?" Cassie's mouth widens.

"Of course, I have dear, but I never was a fan. Until now. I didn't know you could buy flavored coffee." My Grandma giggles as she takes a seat at the kitchen table.

"My life would be empty if there was no pecan praline coffee in it."

Cassie notices me standing off in the corner as she puts a piece of bacon on her plate.

"Luca, good morning." She smiles really big, showing off her perfect teeth.

"Hi," I say, walking over to the counter. "I could use some coffee too."

"Help yourself."

"You bought this?"

She nods. "I can't live without my caffeine."

"And you stayed?"

"I told you I would."

A smile creeps on my face as I shake my head and pour myself a full cup.

With my eggs and bacon completely gone, I get dressed and bring Cassie home. I didn't want to. I wanted her to stay longer, but she needed to check on her mom. Anderson came into my bedroom before we left and apologized again for last night. I can't be upset with him forever and I knew this deal between us wouldn't stay a secret indefinitely, but her being mine for just a small amount of time felt too real to me.

I wanted this between us and only us.
I'm glad I got to see the true side of Marcus though, it was bound to happen. Anderson was right.

He's always right.

"You need to tell her how you feel," he says before stepping out of my room.

"I can't." I call out, making him slowly turn around.

He walks back in whispering as Cassie is sitting in the living room waiting. "Why?"