Chapter Twenty. Falling in Love Will Kill You

Izzy was biting on her nails as she waited for a call or a text or a sign that Bill was still around. She was trying to finish reading a chapter from one of her heavy books for school so she could get her essay done; it was just that there were too many things in her mind. She was thinking about her father and how they'd discussed, Bill and how easily he dismissed her worry, Philip's weird urge to get back with her and over all she still thought back on how close could the police be to get the Jensen boy back.

"Concentrate, Elizabeth, concentrate..." She told herself, but as she got a knock in her door she let out a single sigh, looking down at her phone screen once again on her way to opening the door. Her whole body became tense as she looked at him. He stood there leaning on the wall with his arms folded over his chest; a shiny ring was visible on his left hand. "What is it?"

"Well, if it isn't really you, Izzy?" Joseph gave her a side smile. "When dad said you were moving back home... oh my...I didn't think you would really come back. After all the running away..." He laughed at her.

"I'm sorry I couldn't go to your wedding, I-"

"Save it." He straightened his back and leaned closer to her as she took one step back. "I'm not exactly bothered you're back. But I hear you're marrying Philip."

Izzy didn't move as he stood in front of her for a few minutes that were worth to make her nerves shatter on the ground under her brother's stare, a smile forming on his lips, Izzy only saw his face from the corner of her eye.

"I must say, though..." He put his hand on Izzy's shoulder. "I did expect to see you before the wedding, you know, remember the old times." He smiled at her, showing his white teeth.

"Get out." She stepped back from his touch and looked at the side, speaking as clearly as she could. "I need to finish my work. Get out, Joe."

He let his hands fall on each side of his body and shrugged.

"Don't worry; I don't need you to reminisce anymore. Good luck with Philip, though, the Parkers are not especially known to be gentle."

Izzy pushed the door closed before Joe had a chance to say anything else. She pulled the little unread card from her bag and opened it. She had almost completely forgotten about the card Philip had sent her along with the roses, but now she felt curious to know if maybe that had anything to do with her current situation.

She sat back on her desk and read the small white card. It was obvious that he had written the words himself as the handwriting was his own and Izzy recognised it from one time he wrote down a list of Arsenal players on a napkin for her to learn. She didn't learn them, though.

"I'm sorry. Let's make up. Sunday, game and lunch. We need to talk." Izzy didn't want to talk to Philip, but it was true, they had to settle things because she was definitely not going to marry him and if her father wanted her to, there was no way she'd get away with it.

So Izzy called Philip, who picked up the phone rather soon.

"Izzy? Finally, I thought you'd never call. I'm sorry about the flowers; I thought you'd like roses..." He sounded confused.

"No, it's not your fault." She assured him. "But I do think we have to talk, maybe in person."

"So...?"

"Maybe I could swing by later? Would that be alright?" Philip stuttered as he looked at his agenda next to the keyboard on his desk.

"Yeah, I could meet you here in the office." He said.

"Great. I'll see you then. Bye." She didn't wait for his reply but hung up.

Izzy had a text from Bill asking her to get out of the house; because of course it was almost as big as protected as a bunker. She walked out of her room and down the stairs, listening to her father speak to Joseph. Izzy was especially quiet as she tip-toed through the hall to the front door, bumping into the woman in charge of the laundry. She put her index finger over her lips as if to ask her to stay quiet, which she understood easily and smiled at her as she watched the youngest Collins step out of the house.